back to article Acer pedals into e-cycle market with AI and big data in its basket

Acer is racing into virgin territory and – everybody look out – it's coming armed with AI: the Taiwanese PC maker is launching an E-bike that is apparently designed for urban commuting. The ebii is a single motor two-wheeler that, according to Acer, can run for up to 110km and is fully charged after two and a half hours. It …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

Well for an E-bike that's not the worse design I've ever seen, but....

2. Lon24

Magic

The truly remarkable achievement is having a battery that will last 110km and weigh way less than 16kg 'cos it has to have a frame & 2 wheels strapped to it too. If they have cracked that then they should be in the heavy goods EV market where they could surely get a big load from London to Edinburgh. I'll leave you to imagine what that is a big load of ...

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Magic

110km seems good. What was the weight of their test rider? They did have a test rider, and not just, say, chuck it on a treadmill and ran it on auto until it died?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

On a flat road the weight of the rider isn't necessarily a big factor.

At low speed it's rolling resistance of tires, at high speed its aerodynamic. Doesn't look like this would get into the aero regime

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Most e-bikes don't have regenerative braking so rider mass absolutely is a factor for urban riding, where the brakes get a workout.

But you can bet their '110km' figure is for riding around a velodrome with the tyres pumped up to 200psi

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Why?

What purpose does AI on an E-Bike serve? Is it to siphon up more data and send it to the Mothership so that ads can be flung back at you suggesting personal trainers to improve your riding experience.

Or what exactly?

Could it be that it is :-

1) AI is all the rage so jumping onto the bandwagon is seen as good.

2) AI means upping the price by say £300 (or more)

The only intelligence that is needed on a bike is in the brain of the rider. Can that AI stop idiots in tin cans from pulling out in front of you? If the answer is NO then it seems rather pointless.

Re: Why?

"AI" can mean anything from self-driving to a nonlinear term in the brushless DC motor driver

I suspect a lot closer to the 2nd

2. IGotOut Silver badge

The point of AI?

They can sell your personal data for cold hard cash

1. captain veg Silver badge

> They can sell your personal data for cold hard cash

Only for as long as the battery lasts. It will stop taking charge after about a year. And then the charging socket will fail.

Well, that's what happened to me with one of their notebook PCs that I bought.

-A.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My only gripe with foldup bikes, they're no good for big people. I'm 17st ( 240lbs ) and I play sports, walk, jog and while I'm not tough-mudder material I'm certainly not obese for my weight. Most fold-up bikes only carry 200lbs max weight and if you don't have room to safely lockup a full size bike the cycling is not viable.

5. devin3782

Why does it need AI to know if you're going uphill when a Inclinometer/accelerometer is all thats needed? Also why do I want a bike that harnesses big data to harvest "insights" I'm guessing thats to help route you past the most amount of billboards to maximise the adverts spoiling your view.

6. xyz Silver badge

Is it road legal...

Given the wattage. And what's wrong with SE London?

1. Fred Dibnah

Re: Is it road legal...

250W is legal in the UK, although you can have higher power if it's not used on the road.

Bromley is what :-)

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: Is it road legal...

Bromley the town is OK. Bromley the borough includes some proper shitholes, most with names ending Cray.

-A.

7. ecofeco Silver badge

A computer IN a bike?

WTF? The next thing you know they will put computers in sex toys and toothbrushes!

Oh wait...

*sigh* It's a mad world.

1. sgp

Re: A computer IN a bike?

Your bicycle will now be out-of-support in about 2 years.

"Pedals away on his 40 year old Panasonic.".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like