back to article Qualcomm adds 'premium experiences' to Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2

Qualcomm has launched the Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2 mobile platform, which it claims gives some of the bang of its high-end Snapdragon 8 series, but for handsets carrying a less hefty price tag. According to the mobile chipmaker, the Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2 offers up the usual improvements smartphone buyers have come to expect, …

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

"One interesting capability in Snapdragon 7+ Gen is support for 5G/4G Dual-Sim Dual Active (DSDA), which enables the use of two simultaneous SIMs."

I have a Oneplus 6 which supports 2 active SIMs and that has a Snapdragon 845 chip although its only 4G not 5G, its still a tech thats been about for at least 5 years.

1. Down not across

I have a Oneplus 6 which supports 2 active SIMs

I think you'll find that your phone most likely has dual standby (DSDS) (which is what most multi-SIM phones have).

Yes you can receive and make calls on either SIM but not on both at the same time as your two active SIMs still share just one transceiver.

As to why or whether you would want or need to is another matter.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Snap

The only snap I hear is Rhythm is a Dancer.

3. https://youtu.be/iXdrFfpn3Is

There's a article on the Reg about the importance of DRAM in phones, which can't be commented upon - I believe there's a case (or there should be a case with a RAM slot) for expanding RAM when you need extra, because you don't necessarily need it all the time. You're welcome, phone makers ;)

4. Snake Silver badge
    FAIL

Yeah, sure

"Qualcomm has launched the Snapdragon 7+ Gen 2 mobile platform, which it claims gives some of the bang of its high-end Snapdragon 8 series, but for handsets carrying a less hefty price tag."

I'll believe it when I see it.

Here in the United States (unlike the rest of the world, it seems) mid-range cellphones almost don't exist. The companies, both the cellphone manufacturers themselves and the carriers selling 'captive' models, either want to sell you a $1,000+ top-end model or an under $400 model. Mid priced, $600 models? Good. Freaking. Luck. They'll offer you a "choice" of, maybe, a single one.

I know I am not the only person frustrated by this Hobson's Choice, as a friend in San Francisco commiserated with me about the exact same thing.

So Qualcomm stating that more, and better performing mid-tier models, will [finally] be available? I'll say "In a pig's eye" until I see it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" lossless CD quality "

CD quality isn't very impressive for a 2023 product. Do microwave manufacturers advertise digital clocks as a feature?

1. Mostly Irrelevant

Re: " lossless CD quality "

To be fair to them. CD quality equates to double what human beings are capable of hearing so we don't actually need any higher quality than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: " lossless CD quality "

With 16bit there is always consecutive repetition in amplitude values which could be greatly lowered with 32bit (65536 Vs. 4294967296). As for the 44.1, effect filters can always use more (ie. upmixing can only benefit).

6. Mostly Irrelevant

Every phone I've bought for the last 6 or so years has been indistinguishable from a performance perspective. Qualcomm is grasping at straws here trying to come up with a reason to make us all buy new phones and I'm not sure there are any at the moment. Unless they can make it massively more efficient so the battery life is doubled it's all swings and roundabouts to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like