back to article Pair accused of breaking into US law enforcement database, posing as cops

A 19-year-old suspected of belonging to the "ViLE" crime group told a man authorities think is in the same gang that he "jacked into a police officer's account" and "the portal had some fucking potent tools" according to a complaint unsealed today in the Eastern District of New York. The US Attorney's Office for the district …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Police posing as crims and victims, crims posing as police?

Huh? Goose, gander, sauce? I am all for the coppers doing good, but when they do bad for the sake of good, it's bad for all of them... Where is the trust? I rarely post anon, and I won't on this post... cuz the coppers could find out if the wanted. They probably have better things to do than ask Reg.com who chivo is...

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Police posing as crims and victims, crims posing as police?

Police and Thieves ... everywhere.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Dubious wording

"used a police officer's credentials to access "a nonpublic, password-protected web portal" maintained by a US federal law enforcement agency without authorization"

Similar wording used on linked report.

When they say nonpublic are they (I'm guessing) just doing a security thru obscurity thing where it turns out the website is actually public accessible (& I include publicly accessible if it just has weak security measures such as IP "whitelist"* (as IP spoofing gets around that )...Or do they mean the accussed had to break into a network that was legitimately non public (i.e. on an intranet somewhere)

*Apols for non PC "whitelist" term, I'm sure there's some alternative I should use but no time to search as always just brief have commentard timeslots on this site while I wait for a build to complete, as too busy at other times!

3. Matthew "The Worst Writer on the Internet" Saroff
    Big Brother

Honestly, This Does Not Worry Me As Much

As the police having access to this.

Whatever evil these kids might do, they don't have a license to kill from the state, and the cops do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like