back to article Requiem for Google Reader, dead for a decade but not forgotten

Ten years ago, on March 13, 2013, Google said it was discontinuing Google Reader, a popular application for reading RSS and Atom feeds. Google's decision to do so, part of a corporate initiative dubbed "Spring Cleaning," proved vexing enough to prompt a petition to save the application, though to no avail. The web app, …

1. Omnipresent Bronze badge

Crocs in the Water

The problem with the internet is the criminals own it. They have you figured out. They have been gathering intel on you for a very long time now. These are no ordinary criminals. These are hunters. They are hungry for death. They offer you safe places, like rivers in a desert. They gather the animals in secluded pastures. Watch the herds mass. Just when it appears safe, they strike. Crocs from the river. This is no ordinary space, it was a trap. The intent was to feast on the dead. That was the point all along.

What happens when the crocs offer you a safe space on a mastodon server that turns out to be a trap?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Crocs in the Water

You move yourself and your followers to a new server... Even set up your own, if you are that worried.

1. Omnipresent Bronze badge

It's the river that is full of crocs. It's pasture that is full of wolves. The fact that you are NOT worried, and assume you are NOT being hunted that's the problem. You are. You are being tracked even now, and fed to the machine. Lambs to the slaughter. Why do you think there is so much discontent and distrust of the real world and facts? You are constantly being fattened by the machine for slaughter.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Doomed, I tells ya

Dooooooooomed!

2. Omnipresent Bronze badge

You guys are not going to believe what happened to me today, but I swear to you it's real. I have used firefox for many, many years. With at least 6 different ad and script blockers. DDG go as a search add on. I haven't touched a windows browser since forever.

Today, I was forced to log on with my pc to update a legit out of date software. I usually take an old mac, download from that, then transfer over to the pc by media card. THIS particular vender said no, you have to use a pc. I disabled updates for 30 days, then went into services and disabled from there. I cautiously turned on the wifi, and my pc/AI started humming. Fans and all. I knew it wasn't good, but it wasn't the usual bloat ware. This was different, and I didn't know what. After a few minutes I turned off my wifi and rebooted.

Guess what? It deleted my mozilla set up. It vanished.

Now it's trying to force me to use the AI instead. GFY windows. I will find a work around. This was a criminal act. You are criminals.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
  2. Ol'Peculier
    Pint

I was very disappointed, but not that surprised, when Google killed Reader. Fortunately, feedly.com came along, allowed you to import your feed list and has a pretty good interface on desktop and mobile.

RSS can be such a useful tool, but who wants things that are useful that you can't make buckets of £££ with?

3. gv
    Happy

RSS

I came to this article via an RSS feed in Akregator.

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr

Re: RSS

I got here from my own tt-rss installation. No-one else knows what feed I'm subscribed to.

2. Fonant
      Happy

I came from the RSS feed reader in Vivaldi.

RSS is an very useful general-purpose subscription system, that works for all sorts of internet things.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Thumb Up

> I came from the RSS feed reader in Vivaldi.

Another happy Vivaldi RSS user here.

I (re)started using RSS feeds as it became obvious that Twitter and FB seem to be getting less and less useful content and more "recommended topics".

3. Omnipresent Bronze badge

chomp chomp.

4. Graham Cobb Silver badge

And I came via Tickr. I couldn't spend all day in front of my screen without my RSS headlines scrolling across the bottom of the screen: El Reg, BBC News, Rugby & Motorsort, and Sailweb.

I also rely on r2e to send me a much larger set of interesting feeds by email every morning.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

I have over a dozen RSS feeds in Thunderbird

6. thosrtanner

and I came here using inforss feed reader/ticker on firefox 52.8 ESR... I maintain the extension on palemoon - so I'm glad it showed me this article!

7. Headley_Grange Silver badge

"Brief" Add-On in Firefox for me.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I have "Want my RSS" to expose the feeds and use Vienna to read them. StackOverflow allows you to subscribe to particular topcis like this.

RSS is limited, too limited to be useful for press releases, but it is piss easy to parse. Except for the inevitable extensions for longer articles which generally include images, multiple headings, etc.

8. robpomeroy

I've just migrated from Selfoss to FreshRSS, both open source and self-hosted. Migration to FreshRSS (using the Docker container) took minutes. It's excellent. Can warmly recommend, if you're in a position to self-host your RSS reader/aggregator.

4. Natalie Gritpants Jr

Article written by an idiot

They spend most of the article describing why RSS was a good thing, then call the people still using it "technically stubborn".

1. Fonant

Re: Article written by an idiot

RSS is still a Good Thing.

2. I am David Jones

Is “technically stubborn” a criticism?

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Is “technically stubborn” a criticism?

Probably. "Technically discriminating" would be how I'd phrase it except for the fact "discriminating" has far too many negative connotations nowadays. (Shakes fist at cloud.)

3. Calum Morrison

That's a compliment from one geek to another. How many of us do things a certain way because we're perfectly happy doing so and it pleases us, even though we know there's easier methods? I took some time last night to use MP3Tag to tidy up the cover art and track listings of a couple of albums when it would be far easier just to stream from my Napster subscription than curate my own collection. Napster you ask? Why yes, I use a slightly crappy, more limited music service because it apparently pays a teensy bit more than Spotify per stream to the artists I cherish. Ans sometimes I listen to the same music on vinyl.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Is napster not still a P2P thing that metallica don't like? [hides beneath zimmer frame]

1. Calum Morrison

No, I think it even has Lars' seal of approval these days - it's just a Spotify/Apple Music/Deezer/Amazon Music clone albeit a bit laggy in the interface and the release schedules. Its main saving grace for me is not giving any cash to Daniel Ek.

4. Citizen of Nowhere

Perhaps they meant "stubbornly technical" ;-)

5. ChrisLaarman

RSS-feeds are valuable!

I came to this article using Feedly...

In my opinion, RSS-feeds allow one to easily find articles from the actual sources and from newsmedia with differing points of view - the opposite of the funneling into bubbles that seems omnipresent nowadays. (Note that it is up to oneself to find "interesting" or "relevant" feeds and to subscribe to them. And that feeds may suddenly stop, restart or start under another name.)

1. Dave559 Silver badge

Re: RSS-feeds are valuable!

Half of the problem is that just when RSS feeds were starting to become relatively common on more general audience (less techie) sites (eg, BBC News) and you could start to explain to your friends how they could easily drag the RSS icon to their browser's bookmarks bar to subscribe (nice and simple UI, for a nice and useful feature), suddenly most of those sites got seduced by the dancing of a newly discovered bird with bright colourful plumage, which was beckoning them into its walled nest, and then it all started going downhill from there…

1. _andrew

Re: RSS-feeds are valuable!

The Feedly interface is pretty easy, with the ability to search for feeds by name, rather than having to find and past-in a feed URL. Also has pretty nice grouping and management interface. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Also: there aren't all that many sites (certainly only one or two that I care about) that don't have an RSS feed. I put that down to 50% of web sites running on Wordpress, and Wordpress has RSS turned on by default. Comes for free and brings traffic to the site, so why would anyone turn it off?

6. Barry Rueger

Google Reader was the beginning for me

When Google shut down Reader it became obvious that the way forward was to lean heavily towards software and on-line resources that were't controlled by big, greedy corporations like Facebook and Google. Linux instead of Windows. LibreOffice instead of Office. And hosting my own web sites and email instead of Gmail and Wordpress.com.

Over the last decade it has become abundantly obvious that none of these mega-corporations give a sweet god-damn about the end users. They just want to monetize everything and everyone to the maximum amount possible. That's why using their products has turned into a massive steeplechase race with multi-factor identification, massive amounts of data collection, and with "upgrades" that remove much-loved features to the benefit of the people making the profits off of you.

The Internet in its early days was a simpler, easier, faster thing. Heck, I can even remember the long-lost days when a search on Google actually turned up what you needed, not dozens of advertisements, and spam pages of no value. Yes, in the early days the Internet wasn't endlessly annoying, cluttered, and often dishonest.

Despite being an early adopter, and despite having worked "under the hood" to understand how it goes together, I'm finding that more and more I move away from the Internet to tools that don't waste my time, don't demand multiple passwords, and don't insult my intelligence.

My paper datebook is better than Google calendar. My printed books are better than the Kindle. My bank answers phone calls instead of directing me to a phone bank in Malaysia. And shopping at the local hardware store is better, and easier than spending an hour on Amazon trying to find what I need.

Really the history of the Internet will be one of one great idea after another that eventually become crap when the people who started it managed to bury users with crap and un-needed features, and turned a lovely tool into an annoyance. Whether it's Google, or Facebook, or Twitter, or Slack, the pattern is always the same. Until these corporations learn that sometimes the best next step is to sit on your hands and just let the thing function we'll just be heading for the next big disaster.

1. robpomeroy

Re: Google Reader was the beginning for me

Gosh - self-hosting email is not for the faint hearted! Respect!

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

An alternative view is that Reader was part of Google's strategy of suckering people in to use its web sites when perfectly useable alternatives exist. Apart from alternatives other commentards have already mentioned there is Thunderbird which, together with its relatives such as Seamonkey, gathers mail, RSS and Usenet into a single application.

8. Whitter
    Headmaster

Deletion of Google Reader did us all a favour

It taught us that we cannot trust Google.

We shouldn't forget that lesson.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge

"Why did it never get easy to subscribe to things in RSS"

What? I copy the URL into a Thunderbird "new RSS feed" dialog and I'm done. What could be easier?

1. Ruli Manurung

Re: "Why did it never get easy to subscribe to things in RSS"

For 99% of users, there's a big difference between doing that and clicking a "Follow" button...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The strategy worked, then.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

And in at least some browsers (I'm thinking it was Internet Explorer of all things that I remember), you could click on the RSS feed link and IE would ask if you wanted to subscribe right there. For all I know, other browsers are still doing this. I don't like my feeds processed by the browser, but it was a simple way to use them without needing to understand URLs.

1. Korev Silver badge

And in at least some browsers (I'm thinking it was Internet Explorer of all things that I remember), you could click on the RSS feed link and IE would ask if you wanted to subscribe right there

In Vivaldi you get the RSS icon in the address bar when there's a feed available. You couldn't make it much simpler.

10. Paul Burke

The Old Reader

Surprised not to see "The Old Reader" (https://theoldreader.com/) referenced here, as it's the closest to the original Google Reader I could find. Been using it daily since Google Reader died, and my technical stubbornness leaves me very happy with it.

11. iron Silver badge

IT HAS BEEN 10 YEARS, GET OVER IT!

It was just a piece of software ffs.

1. Phil Kingston

It was significant because it, for a lot of people, was the tipping point where Google became a company you couldn't rely on. Now they kill products with such ease and regularity that it's impossible for any consumer to commit to a Google service/product with any assurance it will still be there next month. Google lost a lot more than the user data of Reader users that day.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Indeed.

General rule of thumb I found was if I used and liked a Google product then it would at some point be discontinued.

Result of this was I have long since given up using any "new" Google products as I cannot rely on them staying available - about the only personal use Google product I regularly use is Android on my mobile (& market share of Android is so big that I'm probably safe with that for a while)

12. AustinTX
    FAIL

Description of RSS

Here is the description of RSS I wish they'd written instead of the one they did:

When you're on a website which supports RSS, you can click "Subscribe", and whenever there is new content, it will promptly become available in your RSS reader. This is like "following" a person or page on social media, except that instead of allowing the social media platform to block and manipulate what you see for their benefit, you can see EVERYTHING, miss NOTHING, and can apply filters of your own choosing. An RSS reader looks like an email inbox, and depending on your preference, may show only a title and link to open in your browser, a picture and summary, or you may even read the whole thing right there in a unified fashion.

13. YetAnotherXyzzy

What I've never understood is why there was, and to a lesser extent still is, such wailing and gnashing of teeth over Google killing Reader. Mind you, I was then and still am now a heavy RSS user. But Reader was never the only tool in the toolbox, as Reader's own users must have known. I'm not saying this to start an argument; I'd really like to be educated.

1. robpomeroy

A big part of that was a large company cheerfully sunsetting a product with a very large user base. We probably should have seen it coming.

14. Blackjack Silver badge

[Why did it never get easy to subscribe to things in RSS?]

Didn't many places have a link you could click and open with Google Reader then bingo you were subscribed by checking a box? How much more easier did you want it?

Nowadays I have to find the RSS feed myself and copy and paste it in Feeder for Android so it is a tad more complicated but is not that hard.

Also Twitter definitely doesn't work as a RSS Feed unless you use a third party client that displays it like a RSS feed.

15. Is It Me

Outlook

Even Outlook supported RSS feeds and may still do.

As Outlook was were I used to have to spend most of my time (as ex-employer didn't have any helpdesk software) I used to use that.

I do you Feedly, but I now pretty much use RSS just to follow a few webcomics so don't heavily rely on it

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Outlook

It does. I have several RSS feeds in Outlook including el reg

16. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Vivaldi has an RSS reader now. OK, it's about as good as the one in Thunderbird (i.e. not very) and not up to the standard of, The Old Reader or NewsBlur, but at least it exists.

It actually seems to me that RSS is slowly getting more popular again, rather than less. Like last.fm scrobbling it hasn't gone away, but RSS is looking in better shape than it has for a while.

17. Steve Aubrey
    Unhappy

This is a big list

Products killed by Google (in case the URL didn't tip you off): https://killedbygoogle.com/

I still miss some of them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like