back to article Qualcomm tries to kick holes in logic behind €242M fine

Qualcomm on Monday began an attempt to convince the European Union's Court of Justice that it should not pay a €242 million ($258 million) fine imposed on it for anti-competitive behavior. The fine — worth about two percent of Qualcomm's 2022 profits — was levied against the US chipmaker in 2019. At the time, the European …

1. big_D Silver badge

Just stop it...

get some help.

If these companies weren't doing anything wrong, they wouldn't land in the cross-hairs of commissions like this.

2. martinusher Silver badge

"...helping Huawi and ZTE to prosper"

Qualcomm was fine with selling 4G chipsets to all comers. You may have noticed that the trouble started when Huawei started producing their own 5G chipsets -- at this point these Chinese companies suddenly started being a threat to national security. (Although keen eyed readers may have noticed that the threat has morphed into a more commercial issue than "they're a conduit to the PLA" line that we've been fed for the last couple of years).

I'm not pointing fingers or anything but I noticed a coincidence between our (US) lawmakers sudden concern about the Chinese and Chinese companies' encroachment on US corporate turf. We have form over here with big strategic companies being threatened by foreign competition, most notably with Boeing, so its not beyond the bounds of possibility that there's something going on. I personally have a problem with this because it doesn't work -- whatever short term advantage is gained by a legislative strategy to beat back competition just enables you to cover up the fact you're losing the race -- and because it leads to wider geopolitical implications (as in, "Those damn fools could start yet another war").

1. druck Silver badge

Re: "...helping Huawi and ZTE to prosper"

I'm not pointing fingers or anything

Yes, you are.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like