back to article Africa's internet registry has sometimes needed financial assistance to keep operating, could fail, warns ARIN head

The African Network Information Centre (AFRINIC) has no board, no CEO, has sometimes been close to not being able to pay its staff, could fail, and other regional internet registries have therefore expressed interest in funding its ongoing activities, according to John Curran, president and CEO of the American Registry for …

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Stinks like Nominet

Needs a Kieran Mccarthy equivalent, ably assisted by the way PublicBenefit.uk was organised to rout out the charlatans.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/10/07/nominet_dirrector_election_register

1. R Soul Silver badge

Doesn't Stink like Nominet

Have you actually read the article?

The article makes it crystal-clear who's responsible for the clusterfuck at Afrinic. Hint: it's not the board or management of that organisation.

It's extremely unlikely a new board or CEO can be appointed until the court case is over. Who'd choose to get embroiled in the current lawsuit(s)? Or the next ones Lou Heng will launch. Bear in mind (a) he's a vexatious litigant; (b) he might well decide to go after new board members or a new CEO personally.

2. dwodmots

So this Lu character is salty that AFRINIC stopped him from sending spam and worse from their addresses?

3. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Meh

Oh look, someting in Africa is being mismanaged.

I have learned today that bears crap in the forest.

1. Insert sadsack pun here

Re: Oh look, someting in Africa is being mismanaged.

Silly comment. Nominet just had its own governance problems. This is not an Africa-specific problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nominet's problem was/is an out of touch board that ignored its members.

AfriNIC's problem is a governance vacuum created by a charlatan exploiting the Mauritian courts.

The two cases are completely different - apart from being governance failures.

1. Diogenes8080

Well, the Wikipedia page is a hoot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFRINIC

An interesting question: if the Mauritian courts are vulnerable to vexatious litigation, what nation should AFRNIC be based in? A number of national African registries seem to favour the Netherlands...

I'll just get my pith helmet with the ostrich feathers, shall I?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seems to me that people can't stop pillaging the African continent. Shame on them, not on Africans.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like