back to article Salesforce woes continue as Twitter slashes spending with SaaS supermonster

Salesforce's woes continue as the once-mighty standard bearer for SaaS faces customer Twitter cutting 75 percent of its spending. The loss of revenue at such a high-profile customer comes as the CRM giant struggles to implement new engineer productivity metrics, seemingly in the face of demands from a band of activist …

1. Steve Hersey

"Activist investors?" More like "dry-land pirates."

Other unflattering vulture- and jackal-related descriptions come to mind as well.

These folks swoop on otherwise healthy companies and insist on measures that spike short-term profit to the detriment of long-term survival (and of everyone else).

This is a familiar disease of inadequately regulated capitalism.

(My apologies to the vultures and jackals, who - unlike these business-suited pathogens - perform useful roles in the ecosystem.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: "Activist investors?" More like "dry-land pirates."

I heard the exact same words.

That and Crimson Permanent Assurance.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Facepalm

Live by the sword...

When they sell cloud applications, one of the selling points is being able to flexibly change the number of licences you need. SURPRISE!

3. sqlrob

Only 75%?

They're still getting paid?

4. trevorde Silver badge

What Elon did next...

Refuse to pay Salesforce anything at all

5. OhForF' Silver badge

Measuring software engineers productivity

It was also claimed that Salesforce plans to measure software engineer productivity with so-called "code check-ins."

In other words to be (considered) a productive engineer you have to do lots of code refactoring and minor changes to comments and log texts and maybe a few of those feature requests that are easy to implement. What could go wrong?

1. teknopaul

Re: Measuring software engineers productivity

My first commit is a script that creates a remote branch per file in local commits. My colleague gets a pull request for each file and we both profit.

2. runt row raggy

Re: Measuring software engineers productivity

I'm gonna code me a minivan. or at least a job.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, if you don't have customers...

Salesforce really only makes sense if you have customers who aren't scared of placing adds next to frothing right-wing nut-jobs. The number of such customers can easily be tracked in a spreadsheet....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like