back to article Legacy comms outfit Avaya returns to Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

Unified comms vendor Avaya is back where it was in 2017, once again slipping into the embrace of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection with a plan to chop $2.6 billion of debt from its balance sheet. In a filing in a Texas federal court yesterday, the biz said it had cut a deal with creditors, saying its restructuring plan had the …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I believe this is Avaya's 2nd chapter 11, previously before that when it was Lucent it also went into bankruptcy or almost I am not sure which... I am not sure it AT&T ever filed for Chapter 11 though..

I have never understood why investors continue to invest in this company. I say that even though I actually use /administer an Avaya on a daily basis, I like their product, we use it mainly for the call center but also for internal calls, the call routing is simple, efficient and easy to put together complex IVRs and routing scenarios..

It's just a shame that it appears to be managed by scam artists and corrupt businessmen..

1. ecofeco Silver badge

I see this all the time. A great product or service ruined by PHBs.

Just another reason we can't have nice things.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Not sue if this was the PHB'S fault: investors were involved. They bought the company and got it to pay the debt they incurred to buy the company. Basically aggravated pump and dump.

2. nichomach

Same

We use on-prem IP Office with SCN between a couple of sites, and it's easy to administer, easy to set up voicemail menus etc. We use the J179 handsets and they're great, as is Communicator, the softphone. Sad that a company that makes great stuff is being driven into the ground again.

2. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
    Megaphone

Bye-Bye Redundancy

Our company had used Lucent-now-Avaya for all our phone stuff. I liked that our phone switches did not require the Internet, and were isolated from the Internet, as well as from our internal network. Configuration was done via PCs over RS-422 lines. Those configuration PCs were not connected to the Internet, so when Cisco -- our network infrastructure was all-Cisco -- screwed up, as they occasionally did, the phones still worked.

Now we're using Cicso IP-based phones. (I wasn't consulted, and high-up executives were throwing their repective weights around.)

(Icon for "The network is down, we can't call anyone, so we're shouting up and down the halls.)

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Bye-Bye Redundancy

We're going to Teams calling because we have a "strategy" of "everything in the cloud".

The calls to ensure licensing is managed properly has started because Microsoft put our prices up again this year.

1. gryphon

Teams Phone System included in license with E5.

Ok I suppose but certainly not cheap

What do you mean there are no inclusive minutes and I have to buy an extra calling plan on top of that :-(

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Would it be reasonable to assume that the phone stack in Teams is as shitty as the rest of it? I know it comes from Skype for Business which regularly used to bork calls.

We have a badged and supported Asterisk system which seems to work fine.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

The old saw: "That's why I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain that the network is down."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT just stopped selling Avaya IP Office kit in the quest to get everything to the cloud. Urgh.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like