back to article Uber strikes deals with Google and Oracle to cut datacenter dependence

Ride-hailing platform Uber has struck agreements with Oracle and Google to shift workloads off its own datacenters and into the cloud. The deals are in part responding to supply shortages of data centre hardware during the pandemic when lead times for hardware stretched to as long as 80 weeks. Uber said it plans to migrate …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got to be a first time for everything, I guess...

Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said in a statement: "Oracle provides an ideal combination of price, performance, flexibility, and security to help us deliver incredible customer service, build new products, and increase profitability."

2. hoola Silver badge

Shifting reesponsibility

All this does is make the constraint someone else's problem.

The assumption must be that the large cloud providers either have more buying power or more wriggle room to keep things running.

I am slightly surprised that Uber actually needs that much of a data centre footprint in the first place.

It is just an App and a database.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
      Unhappy

Re: Shifting reesponsibility

"I am slightly surprised that Uber actually needs that much of a data centre footprint in the first place."

That leads me to a slightly more disturbing, but very similar question: what does it need it for?

It's questions like that that make me determined never to use their services.

3. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Good news

Uber will be down for several days a year now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uber and Oracle?

They deserve each other.

5. RobDog

This time next year

‘Google Aquires Book n Ride app Uber (and all its customers’ phone numbers, addresses etc)

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: This time next year

Do you think it'd be a good Fitbit for their business?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like