back to article Euronext says non, nein to US cloud providers services as rivals sign up

Pan-European stock exchange Euronext says worries about data sovereignty and compliance means it will not follow rivals into signing contracts with US public cloud megacorps. Just yesterday, Deutsche Börse AG inked a decade-long agreement with Google as its “preferred” cloud for the next decade, which has echoes of its …

1. captain veg Silver badge

here's an idea

“One of the reasons why we are cautious about the use of datacenters of Microsoft, Google and Amazon for critical parts of what we do is because our core supervisors and regulators are themselves very cautious.”

Use all three. Give each one third of a byte -- plus parity -- at a time.

-A.

Re: here's an idea

Sorry to be a bore again, but...

... to the phantom downvoter, please post something describing what it was that you downvoted. Some of us are keen to know.

-A.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

You don't get the point. Regulators are unhappy because of the Cloud Act.

It was supposed to be a joke.

Not especially funny, but I rather imagined that most readers would get the silliness of sending three-bit quantities into the cloud.

Seems I was wrong.

-A.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another reason to be cautious is ...

... what's the actual point? SME's can certainly benefit from cloud, as their requirements can be bursty, and it's hard to justify the staffing cost (or form appropriate relations with 3rd party consultants), so it's easier to trust the "big guys" and pay as you go.

But big, established, multi-site organisations can host their own critical stuff. You can get UPS, cooling, thousands of vCPUs and tens of petabytes in 1-200 square feet (or a twenty foot shipping container). Have 2 or 3 at different sites. It's not like stock exchanges don't have the very best network connections already.

It's even weirder when big manufacturers are considering it. The data is literally their lifeblood, and some of it isn't even theirs to be careless with, but that of other business partners. They already have multiple secure sites with good power supplies. By the time we get proper liquid cooling it will be even more feasible to host your own powerful cloud in a small, secure space of your own.

Probably simplistic but I think of cloud as analogous to insurance. The more unpredictable your demand, the more a big provider can smooth things out for you, and they charge you margin for doing so. But by the time you are big enough to smooth your own spending, you might as well do it yourself. If you have a horse, it's a good idea to insure it. If you have a stable of a dozen or so, it's vastly more sensible to pay your own vet bills when they arise.

Sometimes the MBA's aversion to capital expenditure has to be challenged: it results not only in increasing operational expenditure also potentially increasing risk (and certainly loss of control over how both are managed). It is particularly surprising to me that many cloud migration strategies I have seen don't have an attached 're-prem' strategy. I find that equivalent to paying someone to take your kids off a distant summer camp with no clear idea as to how to get them back.

Re: Another reason to be cautious is ...

> what's the actual point?

Everyone else is doing it, so we have to do it too. Wouldn't want to miss out.

A bit like eating shit: a hundred million flies can't be wrong.

-A.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like