back to article Curiosity finds clearest evidence yet for water on Mars

The Mars Curiosity rover has discovered what NASA said is its clearest evidence yet that the red planet used to be anything but dusty and dry - and it found that evidence in a place it didn't expect. The discovery comes in the form of rocks covered in rippled patterns that Curiosity scientists discovered in photos the rover …

1. UCAP Silver badge
    Pint

The discoveries made by Curiosity about the geological history are fascinating and ground breaking (almost literally). Lets hope it has plenty of time before the inevitable shutdown to further learn about our near-neighbour.

Will be raising one (and maybe more than one) this weekend in celebration -------->

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

I've seen those marks before

They are left by large, heavy tracked construction vehicles. And, they look very old, like someone was driving heavy machinery up there centuries ago. So was it water, or was it a military outpost of some long forgotten civilization?

Heh.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Alien

Re: I've seen those marks before

"And, they look very old, like someone was driving heavy machinery up there centuries ago."

Erich von Däniken is pounding the upvote icon as you read this.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

It will be fascinating when we finally visit Mars to discover more details like this, given that Mars is about as old as our planet it is likely that life existed in the water there, maybe about the same time that life existing on the Earth but was still fish in the water. To discover anything (or even nothing) on Mars will be very helpful in envisioning the creation of life on Earth - we need to visit Mars.

3. Lil Endian Silver badge
      Coat

Well, the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they said. Just to be safe I'm going to take my cricket bat underground and wait for David Essex.

[Mine's the one with a vial of staphylococcus aureus in the pocket.]

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm, under a big hill near locked up water deposits... I think they should be checking for turbinium... Never mind Bezos and Musk, we need to get Arnie down there.

5. ian 22

Those tracks were obviously left by Vogon construction machines.

1. Bebu Silver badge

"Those tracks were obviously left by Vogon construction machines."

Mars is still there so I suppose the Ice Warriors gave them a good seeing to. :)

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    WTF?

Reached out? Not shared?

That's not US style guide. That's MBA jargon. Stop trying so hard do be down with the kool kids. It's sounding more and more like a Brit trying to sound like what they thing Americans should sound like, ie stereotyping.

4. hatti

Tentacles

Definitely tentacle tracks, not long now until we see a sucker mark.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like