back to article Japan's NTT Docomo uses invisibility cloak tech to fix 5G reception

Japanese mobile operator NTT Docomo has opened up on its endeavors to make sure 5G and successor wireless technology generations continue to function, despite humans – or perhaps the companies that employ them – insisting they work indoors. Windows and other elements of modern buildings are hostile to the high frequency radio …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Presumably

They will be building upon previous work starting with the Defenstration of Prague?

2. Sgt_Oddball

So for existing buildings...

Replace all the glass right? Got it.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: So for existing buildings...

Aerogel is pretty much the worlds greatest heat insulator, so at least the proposal has that going for it. Quite how it does in the visible spectrum I don't know - hopefully it's a bit more transmissive, or things are going to get pretty bleak. I have a roll of it in the shed, looks like a gray hairy carpet, but I believe it comes in other forms too.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

I've never seen it in real, but AFAIK it's not very solid, is it? Don't you risk having your windows shredded each time the wind is blowing that way?

Not to talk about people going through it (voluntarily or not).

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

Damon Hart-Davies did a very good write-up on Aerogel and his insulation use with it on this very site: https://www.theregister.com/2010/11/24/diy_insulation_with_aerogel/

He does mention windows as well, definitely worth a read.

3. Archivist

Depends on the glass

Losses through plain glass are not so great. It's when you start adding reflective materials that it becomes a serious attenuator.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Depends on the glass

Voyager trains as used by Cross Country have tinted windows that block mobile signals. A blessing for some an annoyance for others, ther is a better chance of reception in the vestibule.

They also stop working if the get too wet with sea water but that’s a different story.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Depends on the glass

And that's why this sort of thing is going to run headlong into building codes that require ever-more-aggressive Low-E coatings. Around these parts, it's no longer possible to build a code-compliant home that makes significant use of passive solar heating, for example, because the code standards were developed for warmer parts of the state.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like