back to article Meanwhile, in Japan, pet fish run up credit card bill on Nintendo Switch

A monkey sitting at a typewriter for infinity will almost surely rattle off the complete works of Shakespeare, but can fish complete Pokémon video games on a much shorter timescale? That is a question that the Japanese YouTuber Mutekimaru has answered more than once (six titles beaten in 20,000 hours) by dividing his tank into …

1. original_rwg
    Joke

Gambling

I wonder if they'd reached any gambling sites if they'd have managed to plaice a bet....

1. DishonestQuill

Re: Gambling

I believe there will be a follow up article next week, no doubt the trout will come out then.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They were offered the opportunity to use his credit card, and they took the bait.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One could say the fish involved were perch aces...

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

"I believe there will be a follow up article next week, no doubt the trout will come out then."

I do hope they don't keep carping on about it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How long did it take floundering around for that joke?

1. Sgt_Oddball
        Angel

Look there's a time and a plaice for that sort of thing...

3. entfe001
      Coat

Fish and chips, anyone?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Coat

Shoal long & thanks for all the errrrrrrrrrr.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Wot? No jokes about credit card phishing?

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

[waits 3 seconds]

[waits 3 seconds]

[waits 3 seconds]

3. Plest Silver badge
    Facepalm

A moron with tech skills and a credit card, is still just a moron!

So basically you hooked up a very basic, organic "entropy engine" to a game console that had a user account with a credit card attached?

Yep, all sounds like very little could go wrong with any of that!

4. Howard Sway Silver badge

among plenty of other improbable actions

didn't you get the better version of the story where the fish bought themselves a luxury aquarium, recorded a smash hit dance anthem and wrote an open source OS called finux?

I guess not, but it really is amazing what people on Youtube can do with video editing software in order to seek attention and get it these days......

5. Stork Silver badge

Pokémon

I still remember the shock I got when, at our Friday morning breakfast meeting, I heard my group manager using the phrase “very valuable Pokémon card” referring to ongoings in his kids school.

6. b0llchit Silver badge
    Happy

Intelligence

And they all thought fish were stupid. This was a premeditated credit card hack.

1. vekkq

Re: Intelligence

Everyone will have to patch their fish tank RCE now.

2. RichardB

Re: Intelligence

"premeditated credit card hack"?!

Surely you mean hake?

7. aregross

So....

... he trained them or they trained him?

8. Dinanziame Silver badge
    Windows

"For those without small children at home"

Ha ha. Pokémon came out in 1996, that's 27 years ago. Today's parents of small children played the game when they were themselves young... And might well still play.

9. David Austin

Fun, but Buggy

For those out of the loop, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet came out last November: they've been massive sellers (10 million copies in 3 days), and they are undeniably fun (First game in the series to allow players to adventure together in full multiplayer), but they are plagued with bugs and performance issues, the most serious being the Crash to Home Screen error (Switch equivalent of a bug check) that led to the fish shenanigans (And many, many lost Pokémon over the world).

Nintendo are promising a patch in late February to fix some issues (As well as 1008 Pokémon), but we'll have to see if they manage to hit all the worse pain points...

10. herman
    Facepalm

Goodbye

And thanks for all the fish.

11. ChaosFreak

I'm surprised the credit card company didn't automatically detect those fishy charges

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like