back to article Warehouse safety citations could cost Amazon seconds in revenue

Amazon has been hit with a trio of citations from US safety inspectors who say their investigations found "serious violations" of the Occupational Safety and Health Act at warehouses in New York, Illinois and Florida. All three warehouses were found to be in violation of section 5(a)(1) of the OSH Act, which requires employers …

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
    FAIL

AmazonSmile

"Amazon said that Smile hadn't had the impact the company hoped"

In addition to having to remember a different web address (I don't want to bookmark Amazon in ANY form) -- plus the convenience of the mobile app (which never supported Smile), especially with shared links, and often opening when using mobile web -- Amazon basically designed this to fail. They didn't hope for it to have an impact; it appears to me that they were hoping they could kill it off.

Oh, look, there it goes.

1. Red Ted
      FAIL

Re: AmazonSmile

Oh yes, it was definitely a “charity washing” exercise. They didn’t want to make it too easy to use as that would have cost them money. As soon as the finances look tight, they killed it off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yearly, I buy about 5 items from Anazon, I've never seen the option.

2. Dante Alighieri
      Flame

Links often lead back to amazon losing the smile (just replace www in the address bar with smile).

I'm registered for the British Trust for Ornithology which has had around £2,300 from all contributors. Going to miss this.

Short sighted - my spend is going down.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The warehouse in Illinois, where a worker was killed when the building collapsed and there was no place safe within the facility to ride out a tornado, is, reportedly, being replaced by a new warehouse that also lacks any place study enough for employees ride out a tornado. Tornadoes in Illinois are getting to be a year-round occurrence and Amazon management treats them like they're a 500-year flood and there's no need to plan for another. Morons. But they're saving a few bucks so I guess it's all good.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

intends to appeal

"intends to appeal"

That say all you need to know about Amazon. Safety issue pointed out and instead of just dealing with them, they choose to spend time and money arguing the toss over it. Being Federal regulation s, they'll eventually cave anyway, so why not just make the process changes and get some kudos for doing so, apologising for the oversight? Or is this a case of admitting to fault opens the floodgates for compensation claims by the affected staff?

1. xtam667

Re: intends to appeal

Once you admit fault in the US, anything is possible. That's why every company tries to avoid it, even in the most blatantly obvious cases.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like