back to article The years fly by on first exoplanet confirmed by James Webb Space Telescope

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope has confirmed its first exoplanet: a rocky, hot world with a diameter 99 percent the size of Earth that completes an orbit around its star in just two days.  Star LHS 475 is a red dwarf around 41 light years away and was chosen as a target when a transiting survey identified signs of a …

1. mecmec
    Mushroom

"observations point to its surface temperature being a few hundred degrees warmer than Earth"

We're gonna need some fans.

2. adam 40 Silver badge
    Holmes

So now we know where the Irish come from...

..... ex O'planet !

3. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Pint

Happy New Year Party Planet

Icon - That is all.

4. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Meh

I had always been under the impression that red dwarf stars (i.e. K and M class) were ideal due to their longevity - potentially trillions of years instead of billions. That they were cooler and far more stable (hence the longevity). Surprised to read that they were extremely chaotic and volative - how can they be that long-loved if they in such constant turmoil?

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge
      Boffin

There are different forms of stability

They are long lived due to the fact that they don't poison themselves with their own waste because the waste is convected away from the core. Which allows them to eventually burn all (or most) of the fuel available to them. Larger stars (like our Sun) start to build up waste fusion products in their core that eventually lead to them leaving the main sequence to become red giants. So our Sun will pack up while it still has a lot of unfused Hydrogen, it's just that the core has moved on to fusing heavier elements instead.

My guess would be that the bubbles of convection occurring in a red dwarf give rise to some ‘interesting’ magnetic fields as they arrive at the surface. And it is the tangling, breaking and recombining of magnetic flux lines that drive flares and CME.

IANAA (astrophysicist), so it is possible that I am talking out of my lower orifice!

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Whether there's life, or habitable conditions, on planet b is far from clear,

I wonder what kind of habitable conditions they think it might have if it's orbiting close enough to have a 2 day year? Or do they mean the photosphere? Tidal effects are likely to be a bit extreme too. Might it be egg shaped like Jinx? Might there be Bandersnatch there?

6. ThatOne Silver badge
    Devil

Stardom

> oldest, coolest and most plentiful stars in the galaxy

You're talking about rock stars, aren't you...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like