back to article First satellite to be launched from European soil leaves Cornwall tonight

In what is believed to be the first satellite launch from Western European soil, a hefty Boeing 747 is set to take to the skies from a regional airport on Cornwall's north coast tonight and deliver a payload capable of climbing into orbit. US firm Virgin Orbit – founded by Brit entrepreneur Richard Branson – expects to see the …

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Polar orbit

I understand from the UK news that an attraction of the Cornish site is launching satellites into a polar orbit. It will be interesting to see the pictures of the launch, here's hoping all goes well!

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Polar orbit

A big attraction of the Cornish site is pasties. There is no safe down range for orbital rocket launches from the airport for polar or other inclination. That would be the site off the north east of Scotland.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>There is no safe down range for orbital rocket launches

Really? Surely there is nothing of importance North or South Cornwall, except a bunch of Celts.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge
        Happy

Pasties? Of course, washed down with some lovely Cornish Apple Cider. (hic)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

As someone that has lived down them there parts I can highly recommend the stuff with no label that you have to ask the shopkeeper for or it's tucked away on a bottom shelf somewhere. The pasties are great if you avoid the Greggs style Cornish pasty company. Don't get me wrong those are quite nice but there are much better ones available.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pasties?

My nipples explode with delight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgy8caG63Dg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasties

3. John Sager

Launching off Ireland. If you look at the map there's plenty of ocean to drop a dud in going North or South. Also it's single stage to orbit so no first stage to dump. They can de-orbit that stage wherever once it kicks out its payload.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

If you look at the map you can fly to any part of the north atlantic from Heathrow or Gatwick and launch for any inclination. That's not the matter in hand. It's technically not SSTO, the first stage is made by Boeing a long time ago.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The primary difference, of course, being how many people you fly over carrying a very large missile full of explosives hence a coastal airport and a flight path directly out to sea :-)

2. jake Silver badge

Marketing notwithstanding, it's not taking of from "European Soil".

It is being transported from Cornwall to the launch site, over international waters in the North Atlantic.

1. Panicnow

Re: Marketing notwithstanding, it's not taking of from "European Soil".

Pedantry v ambiguous language.

It "took-off" from Cornwall. The second "rocket stage" happened over International waters, (like virtually every second stage).

Ah what-ever...

1. jake Silver badge

Airplanes "take off". Rockets "launch".

The transport took off from Cornwall. The rocket launched somewhere over the North Atlantic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be pedantic, ESA have been launching from French Guiana which as part of France could be deemed "European soil" ... certainly counts as EU soil.

1. fxkeh

To be more pendantic, French Guiana is part of France so part of the EU but is not in Europe so not European soil. Cornwall, however, is part of the UK so is not part of the EU but *is* in Europe so is European soil.

2. Justthefacts Silver badge

Indeed, French Guiana is part of the EU….in some ways. Pop quiz: why does Ariane launch from French Guiana? If you gave the answer “because it’s on the equator which adds some helpful orbital velocity”, you’d be…..wrong. While that’s technically true, it’s really not the main reason.

The main reason is that French Guiana, enough though it is part of France, and part of the EU, has a derogation opt-out from the EU VAT system. There is still something called “dock dues”, but the net is that Ariane avoids charging its customers nearly 20% VAT on the launch service, making it a *lot* cheaper and therefore more competitive internationally.

If you have to go to Kourou to sort something out on a launch, as I did once, this makes the process of claiming back expenses particularly hellish. Trying to file an expense that is “in France” without VAT receipt, triggers a delightful couple of months of corporate computer-says-no.

3. jake Silver badge

Regardless. we were talking about Cornwall and the North Atlantic.

3. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

I like a good bit of pedantry as much as the next man, but actually (or should that be 'so, actually'?) it is taking off from European soil: the last bit of soil it leaves before orbit is (hopefully) Cornwall. The rocket part of the system may not be leaving European soil under its own power, but then it's not leaving any soil under its own power. (Shades of Maia and Mercury).

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Trollface

So, if I spread a load of French soil on my garden, can I claim CAP subsidies for my potatoes (provided I don't spend more than 3 months in any 6 there)?

1. jake Silver badge

It's not soil amendments that the folks in charge of the RDPs live for, rather it's rule amendments. So I rather suspect that the answer would be a highly qualified "yes" ... with no actual way to meet the qualifications. But they'll spend YEARS working on it. Taxpayer money isn't going to spend itself!

4. Scott 26
      Joke

Besides, I thought they left Europe

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Nah. Not enough ocean going tugs to tow the island away from the European continental shelf, not to mention the lack of miners to dig the island free of it's foundations. And anyway, the Scots would be mightily pissed off!

1. jake Silver badge

"And anyway, the Scots would be mightily pissed off!"

Why? Shirley they'd get the contract for the tugs (which would never be used) ... Lots of loot in that kind of project!

3. James O'Shea

feh

Wake me when someone flies something like the Moon shuttle from 'UFO'. https://catacombs.space1999.net/plus/dt/ufo/ufo_lunarmodule.jpg. I'm sure that Branson would just love to be able to order "Interceptors, immediate launch!" whenever Musk or Bezos put something into orbit. Or maybe get SkyDiver into position...

Note: on rewatching the series, I noticed something which flew right past me back when I first saw it: all of the characters were massive tobacco and/or alcohol addicts. The Big Boss had an actual dispenser in his office, like one of those new Coke thingies, loaded with every variety of alcohol you could want. He didn't drink himself, but smoked more than a Russian aircraft carrier. Commander Straker was supposed to be US Air Force, but he really liked his Cuban cigars.

4. Primus Secundus Tertius

aka Goonhilly

Back when the General Post Office ran the British telephone system, a GPO engineer told me they were instructed not to refer to 'Goonsville' in front of the natives.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So a question

Has this solved any of the many problems with Pegasus?

Does it really compete with sharing a launch on a SpaceX flight ?

Am I being overly cynical that this is the quickest cheapest way of getting to some sort of initial "launch" in order to score some handouts incentives ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing Bits........

Goonhilly was built to receive the first transatlantic satellite signals from Telstar. Both the famous TV signals, and more run of the mill telephone calls. Long before Nasa headed for the Moon or the Beatles had even made it big.

Cornwall also hosted Marconis first transatlantic wireless connection, from Poldhu point, not too far from Goonhilly, just 60 odd years earlier.

7. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

Nope

It looks like it's unfortunately reached ocean-synchronous orbit. I believe the circularization burn didn't happen. SpaceNews says the telemetry during the first burn had weird speed & altitude numbers.

1. Borg.King

Re: Nope

That's what I saw too. The gimbal feedback was all over the place at one point, and the altitude dropped steadily from 500k feet to 244k feet before everything froze.

My guess (and it's only that) is the fairing over the payload did not properly release and the second stage + payload was off balance.

8. Borg.King

Goonhilly / Telstar

A former lecturer of mine at college in the 1980s once told me that the very first US to UK transmission involved a US generator and a US TV set hooked up to the incoming signal, and a UK TV camera pointed at said TV set, whose brightness was fully turned up to get enough persistence on the phosphors for the camera to even /see/ anything.

I believe he had been a GPO engineer during the period.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Goonhilly / Telstar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/bbc_monograph_55

from 1964 has details of the "state of the art" at the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like