back to article Dridex malware pops back up and turns its attention to macOS

A variant of the bad penny that is Dridex, the general-purpose malware that has been around for years, now has macOS platforms in its sights and a new way of delivering malicious macros via documents. The first sample of this latest variant appeared on Virus Total in 2019, but detections started to rise a year later and peaked …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, again ..

.. avoiding Microsoft altogether appears to be a good idea.

LibreOffice to the rescue, especially now a long standing problem is thankfully about to be solved..

1. Smirnov

Re: LibreOffice to the rescue

I'd rather use Pages, which already comes with mac OS and which, at least in my experience, handles Word documents much better than LibreOffice anyways.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I never quite got on with the way the Apple suite works which seems to start with ye olde Desktop Publishing layout and then attaches functionality like a word processor (Pages) or a spreadsheet (Numbers) to it. That's probably not what they did, it just feels that way to me which is why it doesn't work for me personally. It is better at opening DOCX whilst keeping a layout though, I agree, but I rarely need that.

That said, Keynote is fantastic compared to Powerpoint whereas LibreOffice's Impress doesn't quite cut it for me.

1. milliemoo83

"That said, Keynote is fantastic compared to Powerpoint whereas LibreOffice's Impress doesn't quite cut it for me."

It doesn't impress you much?

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: So, again ..

.. avoiding Microsoft altogether appears to be a good idea.

While I agree with you in principle, your reasoning doesn't hold up. As long as MS Office holds by far the largest share of the market, malware will target it. If an alternative grows in proportion in terms of users, especially if they are high value targets, the bad guys will expend resources to go after that, too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, or at least disable it's file associations

All that stuff will display in Preview anyway, and you can just launch the M$ app you need and open the stuff directly. I can live without click to run for Office apps.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like