back to article Doom QA testers form Microsoft's first labor union in the US

Quality assurance testers at ZeniMax Studios – home of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom gaming franchises – have voted in a "supermajority" to form Microsoft's first labor union in the US. Microsoft gobbled up ZeniMax and its subsidiaries – including Bethesda Softworks and id Software – in 2021 for $7.5 billion, bringing …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Gimp

MS employ QA testers?

Who knew?

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
      Joke

Re: MS employ QA testers?

Yes, you are a Microsoft QA tester. It's buried somewhere in the EULA.

2. MrMerrymaker

good for them

QA is a difficult and underrated job

Unions are a good thing.

3. PRR Silver badge

CWA in my life.

My gal was library staff at AT&T long years ago. The wire-workers were all CWA and could be pretty radical (well, compared to AT&T culture: "Ma knows best").

Some 15 years back, someone in the Democratic-led state government encouraged unionizing the State University. They got great support from "office workers", a large and largely underpaid group. AFSCME came in and helped them organize.

However long before that the first Computer Workers had been slipped into the same job group. Seemed like a good idea at the time. But in the 2010s even AFSCME admitted that computer workers were very different than office workers. Some sexism there, also pay and training differences. The programmers and web-workers could pack up and get a better job, while most of the office clerks could not. (Made me glad I knew how to hold a soldering iron.)

So AFSCME called in CWA, the old telephone tech-worker union. Still not a great fit but all e-technology comes out of telephony.

I still have my CWA T-shirt, although I skipped town before the deal was done. Very nice T-shirt. And Union-Made!!!

Since then, I see CWA has a whole drive to organize tech, video game, and digital workers.

4. ChoHag Silver badge

wtf

> We respect this right

My arse. Why are Microsoft doing this?

> ensure that the acquisition of Activision Blizzard

Aaah.

5. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Meh

On the one hand, this is good.

On the other hand, it's really the legal minimum they're required to do.

So pretty much it feels like a very minor victory. They want brownie points for doing as little as possible. Meh.

1. RichardBarrell

It might be the de jure minimum, but it isn't the de facto minimum. Laws restricting union busting are very underenforced I think, judging by how often companies choose to flout them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like