back to article AWS wins 5-year, $700m+ contract for cloud services to US Navy

Amazon Web Services has secured a five-year contract with the US Navy for cloud services, just weeks after scoring its share of a major US Department of Defense deal for cloud computing. The cloud division of online marketplace Amazon has been awarded a contract worth $723.9 million by the Department of the Navy as a single- …

1. bill68

Mr Bezos humbly asked not to be on the board that makes these decisions.

HMMMMM

Look it up.

Was it fair ?

A bit cozy

We all need to get along.

All this good ol boy stuff is not helping

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Doogie Howser MD

$723.9m sounds like a lot

But in reality will disappear quickly if they happen to spin up DynamoDB for a few weeks usage.

4. Grunchy Silver badge

Joint - warfighting - cloud - capability - ?

I don’t get it, and I’m going word-by-word.

“Joint,” between military branches? Or is this ship-to-ship?

“Warfighting,” well I suppose the Navy would probably expect to “warfight“ out at sea somewhere. Implying satellite communication? Excluding cell tower communication? I guess I’m grasping at the implication.

“Cloud,” so if you’re doing data-processing out at sea somewhere, in the middle of a battle, using some land-based server system, that surely involves wireless communication at some point. Must be satellite?

“Capability.” Mystifying. I cannot guess what they’re up to. What is this, some kind of “cyber warfare” scheme?

I guess you might do some battlefield simulation, or some weaponry development research, or maybe you’re controlling a cruise missile in real time.

At some point any initiative must boil down to some, “what the h are you doing” - sort of mission statement.

(I think it’s a con-man dodge, “if you don’t know what’s going on and you need somebody to spell it out to you, you probably aren’t fit to even be at the table!”) uhhhhh, are you scamming me? That’s what I’m trying to figure out!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like