back to article Amazon graduate hires told they can't start work until next December

Amazon is reportedly delaying the start date for an unknown number of college graduate hires, telling them in an email they wouldn't be able to start until well after their planned May 2023 start dates. Blaming the "macroeconomic environment," Amazon told the hirees they would now start in December of next year. As recompense …

1. jmch Silver badge
    Facepalm

Famous last words!

"The death of any consumer electronics business is when people start putting that device into a drawer. And I can assure you that is not happening with Alexa, Echo or other [technologies] that have Alexa on it," Limp said...

Just this morning on another voice-assistant related article, one of the commenters specifically mentioned that their gadget-head sister had confined her Alexa to a drawer...

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Famous last words!

I have Alexa in Fire TV and very much I only use it to say "Alexa, play me Despacito please". Works like a charm every time.

It actually feels extravagant to have such a complex feat of engineering only to be used to summon a song that many would call "cringefest".

But it is great if you want to have some "me" time. Some household members know when I reach for the remote and press that blue button and say the magic words, they are going to be displaced from the room with a recognisable resigned voice "Of for f sake not Luis Fonsi again."

and I say:

Sí, sabes que ya llevo un rato mirándote

Tengo que bailar contigo hoyyyyy

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Amazon has now tied your account here to your Alexa.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

> one of the commenters specifically mentioned that their gadget-head sister had confined her Alexa to a drawer...

La voila!

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    FAIL

Alexa in a drawer

Oh dear, Mister Limp, one Echo has been sitting in a drawer for years now.

The other sits in the barn, literally covered in stable dust. At least it has a somewhat useful existence, generally "what's the weather" (to know what rugs if any to put on the equines) and "play music off my phone" (during cleaning, sweeping, feeding).

But certainly not the existence you guys imagined as the central hub in the house to provide you with shopping $$$. Not once has it piped up with something like "Hobson's livery stable has a special on oats and re-assembled horses, would you like me to order some?"

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Alexa in a drawer

Sometimes in the past I let it overhear some obscure wants. Like I went "Oh it's so hot today, I wish I had a nice shovel, I could dig myself a hole in the garden. I really really need a red shovel. I want to buy it so badly".

Nope, not a single shovel ad has been summoned to please my wants.

Maybe their AI knew it was a bait.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Ob xkcd

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Red spiders

Thing about "Ob xkcds" is that- since the point is that almost everyone will understand why they're "ob[ligatory]" in the first place- you can assume they won't actually need to click. So you can link anything you like for your "ob xkcd"!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Red spiders

I have a feeling that reply is going to be in XKCD sometime soon.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Red spiders

Are you sure about that? Ob XKCD.

2. Cynical Pie

Actually mine has pointed out special offers etc but only on items I have added to various wish lists on Amazon

3. xyz123 Silver badge

I bought several Samsung TVs, not realizing they all use the SAME remote control. Screens use for different PCs.

So trying to switch one on/off or change settings affects others.

I was able to set up alexa to voice-control individual screens, switch HDMI ports etc.

1. TRT Silver badge

They have a remote numbering system. RTFM. Oh, what manual? Well the onscreen one... you say into the remote - Display product manual.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like