back to article Microsoft to buy 4% of London Stock Exchange in 10-year platform deal

Microsoft said this morning it expects to pull in $5 billion in revenue from a deal with the London Stock Exchange Group (LSEG) to haul the British exchange operator's data platform into the cloud. The agreement will see the American software behemoth buy 4 percent equity of LSEG itself from the Blackstone/Thomson Reuters …

1. Tempest 3K

Well, that'll bring a new meaning to stock market crash......

1. Cyberian
      Angel

... and introduce a brand[ed] new financial term "Market Reboot(tm)"...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Looking on the bright side it should make it much easier for American spies to trawl through the data :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's already easy. What do they want now, a dedicated feed?

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Joke

Mandatory "Market Reboot(tm)" once a month to ensure stability of the platform

2. that one in the corner Silver badge

Have you tried switching your stock listing off and on again?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the losses in numerical terms should be absolutely minute now that brexit has completely destroyed the english financial institutions

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like Microsoft lassoed a dumbass cash cow

Well we now know the cause of the next recession driven by bankers.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Looks like Microsoft lassoed a dumbass cash cow

The relaxation of banking rules yet again? Just like all the other crashes.

3. andy 103
    Facepalm

You can't get fired for buying...

... Microsoft? Really, Microsoft??

Well, it seems so.

The number of companies I've seen using Office 365 / Dyanmics / Teams since the (first) lockdown is insane. I even had a call with a hosting vendor we use which largely offers Linux based servers only to find the call was on Teams and pretty much the entire company - aside from the infrastructure they sold - was running on MS tech! Bonkers.

Personally the last time I used any MS tech in my day-to-day work was around 8 years ago. I haven't kept up but it seems to me like they're eating up a big chunk of the market. Market for what though? We know the world runs on Excel, has done for the last 20+ years, and I can't see that going away any time soon. Maybe that's the reason: because they are The Excel People (TM) as far as those who make decisions on what tech to use goes.

After that conversation with my hosting provider the one thing that stuck out was... it doesn't really matter what the use-case or business need is... somebody can fill it with a Microsoft "solution" even if it involves a clusterfuck of import/export Excel file routines to make things "work". Throw in a few Power BI charts and the board-level folks will be kept happy.

It blows my mind that even though it's nearly 2023 everything still lives in Excel and so much other software is just a means to import from, or export to it. Creating multiple sources of truth and a shit ton of problems.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: You can't get fired for buying...

Because, unfortunately, Excel is quite powerful. Take Google Shits, I mean Sheets for example, its really shit compared to Excel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Take Google Shits

anything from google is Shits.

The question which is the most evil... Microfart or Google?

As I block google.com at my firewall, I think my choice is pretty obvious. The only bit of FartSoft I use is Orifice... Note not the 365 version.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Excel is quite powerful

A loaded gun is also quite powerful.

In the right hands, these things can be quite safe, unfortunately anyone can fire up Excel, and this is where problems begin.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm only tangentially an MS user bit this is just silly. Teams used to be dogshit but honestly these days it's genuinely pretty good. It does a bunch of the ancillary enterprise-y bits in a much nicer way for security-conscious customers than Zoom or Google Meet does. The big example being that it's possible to enforce your org's policies on your staff joining a call hosted by someone else. This means it's possible for me to host calls with my public sector customers with either one of us hosting and the same rules applied either way - no chat, no files, no remote control and so on - without me having to put in place some special snowflake customer-specific policy, and without one of us faffing about making sure it's always hosted from the "right end". It also does some other bits right like modeling file transfer as an upload to OneDrive and archiving meeting chats persistently alongside emails for super easy compliance/retention.

Sure, it's not as slick or high-quality as zoom, but the idea that all MS tech is evil and anyone using it is stupid is these days just plain dumb. If you've not used any of it in nearly a decade you shouldn't be surprised to find out your recollection of the products isn't the same as reality. Office even has collaboration and versioning now!

The main thing to be worried about as an MS user these days isn't quality or capability, it's just pure reliability. Azure's reliability record this year is miles and miles behind AWS's and Google's. Multiple major outages. That's going to be a very big deal for LSEG.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Behind the scenes, Teams is a nightmare. It's going to be the vector for a huge hack one day. It's a poorly written product and the API is absolutely awful. I don't understand why any sane person would consider using.

1. Al fazed
          Facepalm

They have heard of Windowes 11 !

Maybe that should be herd of Windows 11 ?

ALF

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

No, Teams is still shit. Not that size-9 clusterf**** it used to be, but still shit.

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

Well, Well.

Something else being sold off. I wonder who will really pocket the proceeds this time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, Well.

MS will. They bought it. That's kind of the point.

2. Al fazed
      Thumb Up

Re: Well, Well.

My first thought was David Schwimmer CEO of LSEG, but there are others, some named in the article........

5. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

If MS own a chunk of the Exchange, will it now be called SharePoint?

1. Howard Sway Silver badge

Surely just Microsoft Exchange?

Spare a thought for all the techies there who have spent years making their systems massively fault tolerant, as they were ushered into a meeting telling them it's all going into Azure after this deal.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Yep. And now the traders will accept that the "must-never-stop-ever" market place will be down for at least a day a year. Two nines, max.

Because that will also be true for the companies they work for, as they are all on MS365 too.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>the "must-never-stop-ever" market place

Tell me you've never worked on a stock exchange without telling me you've never worked on a stock exchange.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Korev has done it again...

Second nomination for Post of the Week.

6. that one in the corner Silver badge

".NET update required by IPO.exe"

"Quentin, does anyone here have an Administrator password?"

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Linux

In the hidden print...

There will be clauses that make it mandatory for all traders to use Windows 11. Anything else will not be allowed.

Beware Microsoft bearing gifts... there will be a trojan horse inside.

1. Erix

Re: In the hidden print...

It will be exactly like this.

Microsoft just did this to NBA streaming. Since it became "powered by Microsoft" in September, it is not possible to view any video streams on a Linux box, no matter what browser is used. The same browser will stream happily from a Windows PC, even if Windows is a VM running inside the very same Linux box where the streaming is refused. Documented on reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/xsk2hj/nbacom_no_longer_shows_videos_on_linux/

8. 43300 Silver badge

When a business relies absolutely on a very fast and reliable system with minimal downtime, Microsoft is obviously the first supplier you'd think of. What could possibly go wrong?

9. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Predicting the future

This is going to end badly, very very badly

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like