back to article South Pacific vacations may be wrecked by ransomware

New Zealand's Privacy Commission has signalled it may open an investigation into local managed services provider Mercury IT, which serves many government agencies and businesses and has been hit by ransomware. Mercury's website is, at the time of writing, a single page that states "Mercury IT provides a wide range of IT …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Weird

The headline is stupid. It's New Zealand. The word is holiday not vacation.

Unless they're thinking about Vanuatu, in which case the word would be Vacance.

El Reg is getting weird.

1. Cav Bronze badge

Re: Weird

Being British\Commonwealth is not good enough now that they have become Americanised.

1. X5-332960073452
        Headmaster

Re: Weird

Americanized - Shirley

2. Scott 26

Agreed, and TFA was written by Simon - who lives in Sydney, so should know better!

IT in NZ is a small village, but I've not heard any rumours about this (I work for another service provider)

A quick poll of my colleagues generated comments such as "There's been a lot of stuff going on with them and their clients over yhe last week. What's hitting the media now is only the tip of the iceberg" ouch

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vanuatu is an Island? Dear oh dear. It is an archipelago, consisting of many islands.

Also, as it happens, Vanuatu has one of the highest concentrations of languages in the world. (Yes, languages, not dialects. Not counting the fact that it has been a colony of both France and the UK and many people on the main island speak one or both of those languages too.) The linguistic diversification is a by-product of there being multiple islands, so to think of Vanuatu as an island is not just a counting error, it contradicts some of the defining cultural traits of this wonderful Melanesian country.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like