back to article Cisco wriggles out from $2 billion bill for ‘willful and egregious’ patent infringements

Cisco has managed to avoid a $2-plus billion payment for patent infringement on a technicality that has nothing to do with the patents. The case has its roots in 2018 when an outfit named Centripetal Networks alleged Cisco had stolen tech Centripetal described to it under a non-disclosure agreement. Centripetal sued and won. …

1. MiguelC Silver badge
    WTF?

IANAL but....

Shouldn't there be a retrial?

1. GBE

Re: IANAL but....

According to the article:

The case has now been kicked back to the Eastern District of Virginia, where Centripetal and Cisco will have to duke it out all over again,

Sounds like a retrail to me.

2. oiseau
    Facepalm

Not a lawyer either but plain common sense tells me that the judge's wife being the owner of Cisco shares had no effect on the merits of the suit against Cisco.

Nothing changed so it is not an issue pretaining to the core of the matter.

And in any case, the judge ruled against Cisco, clearly describing their behaviour as “willful and egregious”.

Maybe the SC does not want to set a precedent for this type of technical issues and wants the lower courts to decide.

Or maybe not.

I'd like to see how the SC vote tally went.

O.

1. Scoured Frisbee

Maybe it should have been 5 or 10 or 100 billion.

The article implies that now it is going to be retried. From the little guy's perspective that's punitive and expensive but that's because of the attorneys, not the courts per se.

3. Mishak Silver badge

WTF?

So, they're as guilt as hell, but they "get off" because the shares held by the judge's wife may go down in value?

Good to see the legal system is protecting the rights of the small-player then. Not.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you imagine the headlines if Huawei had done this ?

It would be in every news paper, used by the US government around the world to discredit them and trotted out everytime the company was mentioned.

But with cisco, it's a footnote on a technology website and brushed under the carpet. Oh and that 2bn, that would hurt the company too much so forget about that.

From now on it should be "Cisco, a known stealer of technology, ... "

1. james 68

Re: Can you imagine the headlines if Huawei had done this ?

Kind of similar to how Cisco has been shown to add NSA backdoors to their equipment but that's fine and dandy, Huawei on the other hand has not been proven to do the same for Chinese "intelligence" services and have in fact shown their hardware and software to prove it but OMG WTF CHINESE BAN THE BUGGERS!!!!!!

One might think there is some kind of double standard at play and perhaps security is not the issue.

1. oiseau
        Facepalm

Re: Can you imagine the headlines if Huawei had done this ?

One might think there is some kind of double standard at play ...

Might?

You forgot the Joke Alert icon ...

O.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a small point

This was a bench only trial: No jury.... And that's never ended well, has it?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Just a small point

Statistically, in the US Federal courts, criminal bench trials have better outcomes for defendants than jury trials do.

6. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

won't end well

So from now on the lawyers will be studying every stock held in every savings and pension scheme that judges, their spouses and their children are connected to? How many old cases are going to get reopened?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if Cisco knows that their 'attorneys' fees portion of the judgement is going to double?

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

double only?

1. Notas Badoff

Having the previous judgement end against you to the tune of $2B should call for more attention, and it won't be just the existing attorney fees that will double, the number of attorneys will double, with much higher hourly rates for the added outside ones.

8. Claptrap314 Silver badge
    Happy

On second thought...

At first, this decision sounds outrageous. And utterly bizarre that the USSC would allow it to stand. However... there is a strong case to be made that the appearance of justice is more important (to the state) than justice itself. Whether or not this is so, the question before the appeals court was the matter of the appearance of justice. Now here's the thing. Suppose I am a judge. I have a duty not only to be impartial, but to appear impartial. Moreover, the judge is a human. And humans are funny social beings. And if I'm known to have skin in the game, there is a temptation to try to _prove_ that I am impartial by not favoring "my" side. Which I can do by being harder on "my" side than the other side.

And that's the issue. CISCO is essentially in a position of being able to claim that this clearly trivial stock holding by the judge's wife might have pressured the judge to rule against CISCO because of the judge's temptation to _appear_ impartial rather than _be_ impartial. That's an important claim, and apparently one that the appeals system accepts.

1. oiseau
      Thumb Up

Re: On second thought...

And that's the issue.

Yes, very good point.

Rather elaborate and counter intuitive (legal matters do have a lot of that) but once you think it over enough, it makes sense.

The thing is that the judge should have known about his wife's holdings and then excused himself.

Seen as you say, the SC will definitely not want to set a precedent.

O.

9. Matthew "The Worst Writer on the Internet" Saroff

A Little Bit Confused

Did Cisco steal trade secrets, or misuse patented data? They are mutually exclusive.

If it's the former, then it is subject to a non-disclosure agreement, but patents are required, except in the case where they are classified by a government, to be public, and not just public, but written such that a, "Person having ordinary skill in the art," can reproduce the invention.

So, which is this?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

American Justice ... available to everybody .... if you can afford it !!!

I cannot get over the ability of 'rich people'/'corporations', in America, to be able to litigate / appeal and re-appeal ad infinitum until the case goes away due to old age/death or lack of funds. !!!

There appears to be no definition of case proven ....

e.g. Ex Pres Trump appeared to be able to appeal and re-appeal even when the case had apparently been closed !!!

In the US of A, Justice is a vague concept that lives a very brief life ...

*if* you have enough money to question its very reason to exist !!!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: American Justice ... available to everybody .... if you can afford it !!!

I cannot get over the ability of 'rich people'/'corporations', in America, to be able to litigate / appeal and re-appeal ad infinitum until the case goes away due to old age/death or lack of funds.

Perhaps because it's a figment of your imagination?

There was one appeal in this case. The second appeal was rejected. "One and done" is not "ad infinitum".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like