back to article Eat up, Windows 11 users – this is your last non-security preview update for the year

Microsoft is parcelling out new features and functions this week in updates to Windows and Defender. The company released this month's non-security preview cumulative update for Windows 11 version 22H2, which enhances what users will see with OneDrive personal cloud storage as well as more than two dozen improvements and …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

The "Last" preview update?

Come on MS get this one right. No new foopah's please then system admins all over the world can enjoy their Christmas break and think of their children [see icon]

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: The "Last" preview update?

> foopah's

Um, did your Siri/Alexa/Bixby/whatever mangle an attempt at writing "faux pas"? :)

2. ITMA Silver badge
      Devil

Re: The "Last" preview update?

Is that "Last" in the same way Windows 10 was supposed to be the "last" version of Windows?:

2. Sentar

WINDOWS 11 is NOT ready for main streams use....

I have and use WIDOWS 10 PRO on all our computers.

We have WIN11 on 1 mid range computer but we find that uers hate it and will NOT use the WIN11 computer.

We even tried frocing users to us the WIN110 system for 1 day a week and have found that to NOT use the WIN11 system the go home sick or take a hoilday rather than use it.

Sorry Microsoft BUT Win11 is a failure.

1. Updraft102

Re: WINDOWS 11 is NOT ready for main streams use....

Sorry Microsoft BUT Win11 is a failure.

So was Windows 10. Widely despised, enough to where there was a group of "Never 10" people who did all they could to block the "up"grade.

Microsoft faffed around with different knobs and levers to give people the impression of having more control, even though the things they wanted, the things that led them to declare they would never accept 10 were still not present.

More and more, people gave in. They told themselves that 10 had improved enough to retract their "never 10" vows, but if you look at the reasons they gave for why they were avoiding 10, it becomes quite clear that most of these things have not improved, and in some cases they have gotten worse (like the eventual push toward mandatory Microsoft accounts). It's still full of ads, monetization, telemetry, updates you don't control, and the UI is still a confused mess of half-PC and half-phone that does not suit either of them particularly well.

So now 10 is somehow "good" despite all the things that people hated about it still being key "features," and Windows 11 has taken the title as the latest iteration of The Worst Windows Ever. It's just like Windows 10 was seven years ago. MS knows they can steadily grind away at people's resolve and let their monopoly do the work for them.

Eventually, people will tire of resisting, and they will tell themselves that 11 has gotten so much better (though the stream of relatively meaningless improvements that smooth out the rough edges MS deliberately created so they could "fix" them) that it is now worth using, and they will accept the turd once again, with their expectations of what an OS should do for (not to) its users lowered commensurately (again).

If people don't get the point, MS will introduce an even worse Windows 12. It will be so awful that people who try it out will run back to the "good" Windows 11, and they will convince themselves that the relative goodness of 11 means that it actually is good in an absolute sense, and they will again give in and accept garbage.

The cycle keeps repeating.

1. Arkeo
        Pint

Windows 11 has taken the title as the latest iteration of The Worst Windows Ever. It's just like Windows 10 was seven years ago.

Sorry to disagree, but seven years ago, just like now, TWWE was and still is 8.0 :)

1. Ali Dodd
          Thumb Down

8? Have people forgotten the mess that was Windows ME? Still my most hated version. 8 was prolematical but shockingly it did have good aspects. ME was hideous beginning to end.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

ME was just one last gasp of the abomination that was Windoze 1.0.

Sure, it was horrific. But no more horrific than 98, 95, 3.1, 3.0, 2.0, or 1.0 - ultimately nothing more than a dysfunctional shell on top of Messy-DOS. Sure, it crashed a lot - but so did all the rest of them. ME wasn't really worse.

8 was worse. They had a semi-usable UI for the first time in M$ history with 7 and then they took a big fat dump on it. You had to install Classic Shell just to have a usable computer. And there was no reason for that crap.

2. Snake Silver badge

"It's still full of ads, monetization, telemetry, updates you don't control, and the UI is still a confused mess of half-PC and half-phone that does not suit either of them particularly well."

I still have never seen all those ads that so many state Win10 is full of o_O I don't get any ads at all on Win10 Pro, but Windows ShutUp is certainly a friend here in regards to this topic.

1. Arkeo
          Flame

10 is ok, mostly... 7 didn't have any worth mentioning, maybe once in a while while playing Solitaire? Can't quite remeber any more (btw, The Best Windows Ever, so of course short-lived), 11 is a constant push to subscribe to online services you didn't ask for in the first place and for which you may already have better alternatives (Office 365 vs. Office 2021, but with the OneDrive malware caveat, because the Windows OneDrive is just an app that you can uninstall, the Office 2021 OneDrive is malware, pure & simple).

I don't mind the occasional stupid ad while doing unimportant stuff, see the Solitaire example above, but when I found out that after installing Office 2021 Pro I automagically became a OneDrive (malware) subscriber/addict, and I ended up having a mix of Documents local and in "da clouda"--WTF man? It took me a day to sort things up and properly back up everything. *These* kind of things should *never* happen. Maybe, absence of vertical taskbar aside, my grudge is more with Office than with Windows... In 3 weeks I'll try a clean install and see whether this problem can be avoided--because once it's installed and self-configured there's nothing you can do except plug in an external drive and copy your Docs from both local & remote locations, and then uninstall the whole damn thing...

3. ITMA Silver badge
        Flame

"So was Windows 10. Widely despised, enough to where there was a group of 'Never 10' people who did all they could to block the 'up'grade."

That's not quite accurate

As one of those who rolled out Gibson's "Never10" on our estate I can tell you exactly why we did.

It wasn't because Windows 10 was terrible per se - it was because brain dead Microsoft were trying to FORCE the upgrade out whether you wanted it or not and at a time of Microsoft's choosing, NOT ours. That could be construed as possibly even illegal in some countries.

When to move our platform from 7 to 10 was going to be our decision NOT Microsofts as it should be. Microsoft broke that rule deliberately and willingly and deserve all the shit they got for it - and more.

3. Arkeo
    Devil

Not switching until...

...I get my vertical taskbar back!

Current laptop upgraded to Win11 (total unmitigated disaster, ads everywhere) + Office 2021 Pro (total unmitigated disaster, it comes with its own version of OneDrive which defaults *all* your folders in your Home directory to save in "da Claud", and it doesn't tell you it's doing so *and* there's only one option: uninstall the whole Office suite -- mind you, I'm not talking about 365 but Office "proper"). Next laptop arrives today with Win10 Pro and you'll have to pry it from cold dead hands -- this Win11 one is getting a backup and a mojito (*wink wink*).

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Not switching until...

> Win11 (total unmitigated disaster, ads everywhere)

Not inevitable: My new laptop came with Win11 Home, and while actually using Linux for work, I kept a shrunken Windows partition for firmware update purposes.

I did install OOShutUp and ExplorerPatcher though, and thanks to them I have yet to be annoyed by ads "helpful suggestions" or Clippy's big sister. ExplorerPatcher also fixes the most annoying UI shortcomings (like for instance completely removing the useless "Recommended" part of the Start menu, and sending said Start menu back in the corner where it belongs).

Windows 11 is a fixer-upper, but in my experience you can get it back to "usable" if you invest a couple hours of your time.

1. Arkeo
        Windows

Didn't know about OOShutUp and ExplorerPatcher -- I never use the Start menu on 11, I just search, that's how useless it has become. I'll give them a try.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> I never use the Start menu on 11, I just search, that's how useless it has become

Jeez, that's beyond broken! Imagine having to hire a private detective to find your socks each morning... No, IMHO things should be where you put them, period.

Now I've found you actually can create your own folders* in the Start Menu's first page, I don't really bother with the noisy alphabetical second page anymore: Everything I need and use is neatly filed in themed folders like "System", "Work", "Games", and so on, and available in 2-3 clicks, like on Win7 or XP.

* In case somebody wonders: Just drag one icon upon another, like on an Android phone. (Win11 Home)

1. Arkeo
            Facepalm

Your sarcasm aside, that's a feature I actually didn't know about. Thanks for sharing...

1. ThatOne Silver badge
              Happy

You're welcome.

As for my sarcasm, that's my defining feature. It wasn't aimed specifically at you BTW, there are AFAIK a lot of people doing this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like