back to article BT performs U-turn, agrees to up wages for 85% of UK staff

BT has offered the majority of its workforce a "Cost of Living Pay Rise" in the hope it settles long-running industrial action that saw thousands of engineers and call center personnel repeatedly down tools in recent months. Under the terms of the offer, Britain's largest telecom operator said it will offer a £1,500 pay rise …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Fight for your rights

Well done BT workers, your fight was successful.

"'One who makes himself a worm cannot complain afterwards if people step on him"

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Re: Fight for your rights

"your fight was successful."

No it wasn't, BT have just been creative to make them think they have won when all they have got it what is what BT was going to give them anyway. You can't add the £1500 from this year to the £1500 for next year and say that it is a 15% rise as they are two different years. All BT have done is give them a £1500 pay rise dated from Aprile 2022 which is a 7.5% pay raise for the lower earners.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And it's not a 'cost of living' rise, it's a flat raise for everyone (except the big cheese!), so only the lowest rung see an effective 'cost of living' raise. Managers haven't seen much in the way of a raise for years

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Although I suspect union members were advised to vote in 'favour' given that they're in the UK. Plus, companies may have staff who are union members not staff who are unionized for goodness sake!!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much???

Under the terms of the offer, Britain's largest telecom operator said it will offer a £1,500 pay rise for all UK staff presently earning £50,000 or less from the start of 2023. This is a consolidated salary increase, not a one-off pay award.

Some 85 percent of UK staff will be in line to receive the increase, the company said.

What's surprising to me is that 15% of BT employees appear to be earning north of £50k. That corresponds to 15,000 people, assuming the staff count on their Wikipedia page is correct. Sounds like a very top-heavy organisation to me, packed to the rafters with layer upon layer of useless middle management.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How much???

I think you need to get into another industry if you think £50k is doing well in tech.

A project manager lower end £90k up to £140k. A very good sysadmin with 10-15 years experience in a good job should be able to look at £90k or more. An IT manager in financial companies should be looking at £120k or more, a dept head £150k and a global head up around £180k.

1. Alex Stuart

You forgot to add 'in London'.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not just in London in my experience but wages in London are of course higher in general.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think you're in cuckoo land.

Those are not common salaries. I have 20 years experience, some of that as a CTO...most places would laugh at me if I asked for £90k...I'd have to pick a role at a very, very large very, very niche company to expect that sort of salary as a starting point and I'd have to have a very niche understanding of these very, very large, very, very niche businesses.

Also, the overwhelming majority of "Project Managers" earn peanuts. Sure a few of them do well, but most of them don't...a lot of them don't work for half the year either...so the £90k to £140k pro-rata'd ends up being £30k-£50k in reality.

At Google, 75% of their project managers earn less than £75k and the starting salary is £22k. The upper end is £111k. Other large players are largely the same, if not lower.

If you stray outside of the massive tech firms, the salaries drop off a cliff.

2. R Soul Silver badge

"Sounds like a very top-heavy organisation to me, packed to the rafters with layer upon layer of useless middle management."

A near-perfect description of BT. If you'd said layer upon layer of useless management, you'd have nailed it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

your numbers are wrong - the stat on the wikipedia page is worldwide staff numbers including contractors, this impacts uk only so a fraction of that number your qouoting is actually on 50k or more.

3. sabroni Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Nice fixed amount rise, no percentage bollocks keeping the rich richer.

There are people this will make a genuine difference to.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smoke and mirrors

What is not reported here is that this is paid for by delaying the usual June pay review for ALL management grades (and that's a legacy title and includes the majority of devs, testers, sys admin etc - not just rich middle managers creaming off cash for doing nothing!) until September. That will likely save enough to pay for this... but ON TOP of that too, this £1500 pay increase will be taken into consideration during that pay review. So in reality, this is likely just an advance on what might have been awarded in June, paid for by pushing that back to September.

BT wins, and the Unions crawl back into their cave while claiming to have achieved something for only some their members. Approx 50% of managers, represented by Prospect, will benefit. BT has therefore also managed to drive a wedge through the Union membership, and that is resulting in LOTS of members leaving as they feel let down!

5. spireite Silver badge
    Joke

Need eyesight checking

I read the headline and thought....

"They've done well to get an 85% payrise!"

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Need eyesight checking

Not sure if this would have been better or worse...

BT performs U-turn, agrees to up[PAY] wages for 85% of UK staff

6. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

Good no doubt, but talking about a U-tern is just damned silly during an ongoing negotiation.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a really crap deal for the workers. Read the replies to the CWU's tweet. Between inflation & the most they lost striking, they only just break even. All this does is bring next year's pay increase 3 months early and agree to defer the next negotiations until September next year

8. Martin Summers Silver badge

Increase wages, increase prices, increase cost of living.

Rince and repeat.

Or companies could just swallow not making as much profit. That's never going to happen of course.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

I obviously meant rinse. I think I was thinking about Rincewind.

9. Myleftboot

Crap Deal

I stood on a picket with a CWU placard saying "10% nothing less." They promised any deal would be backdated. Bills are rising by a percentage, not a flat rate. If this is the best they could do, why did the CEO get 32%, plus a handy windfall when his actions tanked the share price of about £1.5 mill? Union sold BT and Openreach this " deal" hiding the fact thos was not a resolution of 2022s pay deal, but 2023s deal brought forward a few months. Many decent engineers have already left for the Altnets for about a 25% payrise, but less job security. Always felt the job security, other benefits (I start and finish late to do the school run, above average holiday entitlement....) and job satisfaction was a decent trade off, not so sure now

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like