back to article China declares victory over teenage video game addiction

China has declared victory over the scourge of teenage video game addiction. A report on the state of the nation's video gaming industry released last Saturday reviews progress towards the state-mandated three hour a week limit on gaming for minors, and the industry's efforts to ensure it doesn't poison the minds of Chinese …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah right

In other NEWS tractor production has exceeded 4000%, again!

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Yeah right

We've always been at war with Eastasia. ehm... Eurasia... ehm... Eastasia...Eurasia...

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Elbonia?

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Flame

In the 1984 vein, I've let a lot of CCP generated crap pass by unchallenged over the years, but clamping down on PC gaming makes me an official enemy of the state.

That a government is so fragile it needs to filter computer games for the masses to stay in power shows just how unstable their banana republic autocracy is. The Chinese people I have encountered have been warm, welcoming and generous. The CCP on the other hand are thugs and as necessary as a mans face in a grumble flick. The sooner they are sanctioned into history, the better.

Time to sideline every undemocratic country with the heaviest of trade embargos. we started with Russia. Lets add Iran, China, North Korea and anyone else without honest elections or representation. Zero trade and full economic blockades until they decide to join the world without human rights violations. Oh, and have everyone recognize Taiwan, just to tick them off a little bit more.

1. Irony Deficient

Time to sideline every undemocratic country with the heaviest of trade embargos. …

… we started with Russia. Lets add Iran, China, North Korea and anyone else without honest elections or representation. Zero trade and full economic blockades until they decide to join the world without human rights violations.

I strongly suggest that before implementing such a strategy, you research “our” (for whomever “we” comprises) supply chains in all industries to see how zero trade with these countries would affect “us”. (It seems that you’re unconcerned with how zero trade would affect the warm, welcoming, and generous Chinese people whom you’ve encountered, let alone the warm, welcoming, and generous Chinese people — and such people in other countries that you’ve deemed to lack honest elections and representation — whom you haven’t encountered.)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately it turns out you can't sanction too many countries at a time. If you do, they'll all just club together and support each other and your sanctions won't work. I guess that's why Western governments have gone a little bit easier on China in the hope of getting its cooperation against Russia.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No, its as was stated above. If you sanction China, they stop producing your stuff for you and shipping it for you to your country.

They could easily sacrifice the entire urban population of a couple of provinces and out-bid the US for EVERY raw materiel and finished product imported by the US from anywhere on the globe.

2. aerogems Silver badge
    Thumb Up

They've got the right idea

Over here in the States, we just declare war on things. The war on drugs, the war on crime, the war on cancer, the war on <insert random social woe>. We don't actually DO anything about it, we just declare war on it. China doesn't do anything about the problem either, but they claim victory over it whereas we are forever fighting against it. Seems like China has the better PR strategy.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: They've got the right idea

Yep, we should declare victory in the war on drugs and war on terror. Declaring victory in Iraq worked for Bush, right? Oh wait.

2. deadlockvictim

The War on Drugs

I'm not sure that the black community in the States would agree that ye did nothing with the War on Drugs.

It has been remarkably successful at getting young black men locked up. And we all know that there is nothing more evil or socially destructive than smoking weed (except, of course, Hunter Biden's Laptop™).

1. Grunchy Silver badge

Re: The War on Drugs

Right? Cops think they can stamp out murder with their endless “war on murder,” but new people are always gonna be buying new guns and new machetes and the murders never stop, it’s obviously hopeless. Time to end this ridiculous “war on crime” as a lost cause. I’m not advocating for a free-for-all death society but you’ve got to admit life hasn’t changed much since America started having massacres on a weekly if not daily basis. What’s wrong with smoking a little weed every day? Seems to me it’s “my” personal decision to become an addict, if that’s my ambition. Crime isn’t the problem: it’s laws and cops that are the problem. “Civilized society,” my ass! Give me crack and shotguns any day ;)

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
          Unhappy

Re: The War on Drugs

Cops think they can stamp out murder with their endless “war on murder”

No, (most) cops don't truly think that; it's just the line spouted by The Powers That Be.

Seems to me it’s “my” personal decision to become an addict, if that’s my ambition.

The cost to society-in-general is when your (and others') addictions leads them to steal things (in particular, "my stuff") to pay for your addictions, and when your (and others') drug-addled brains drive you to vandalism and worse, senseless, random violence against other people. Indirect costs are their medical bills, as they don't take sufficient, sane care of themselves. Untreated issues end up as casualty cases.

I had a techie co-worker whose drug addiction led him to order PCs from our main vendor, which our company paid for. The PCs were then re-sold on eBay. He and his co-conspirators were caught (they'd used our company's app to send text messages to each others' pagers [it was the 1990s] to keep track of their illegal conversions). Yes, they were fired. No, our company did not recoup the cost of those PCs. There was no point to suing a pauper-addict for money or other assets -- he didn't have any to speak of. He was living in a nearly-empty apartment, having sold his big-screen TV, stereo, sofa, etc.

All that said, it's clear the "War on Drugs" is lost.

3. Grunchy Silver badge

I mostly play Dr Mario

I’ve got endless video games: retro units, Mame rom collections, hacked consoles, steam sales, humble bundles, epic giveaways, flight sim 2020, scumm collections, and emulators galore. But I find most of that to be a bit too complicated and cumbersome.

Instead I’ve got 3 go-to’s: Dr Mario; Trackmania Turbo; and Trials Rising Gigatrack.

(Oh, and MS Mahjong.)

4. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Facepalm

The snowball is safe!

China has declared that the little shades and protective umbrellas it's put on snowballs will now ensure they won't turn into puddles in hell!

5. steviebuk Silver badge

I declare the end of energy issues..

..in the UK. As we all know this is another Xi lie like he declared victory on poverty.

The Wumaos will be along to

1. Try and prove he's not lying even though he is.

2. To do a lot of whataboutisam.

Next we're watching for all governments to shutdown and put an end to the seriously shady "Chinese police stations" they've hidden in business' around the world. Which is a real thing and shitty way to behave.

1. Little Mouse

Re: I declare the end of energy issues..

You've lost me with the 'seriously shady "Chinese police stations"' reference.

Are you referring to compromised Chinese tech, or something more literal?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      2. lglethal Silver badge
        Go

It's actually something real. In various countries around the world, China have been setting up little unoffical offices, ostensibly visa services, but in reality police stations forcing people back to China for arrest.

Very, very against the norms of international rules and diplomacy...

Plenty of reporting about it on BBC, Der Spiegel, Der Monde, etc... A short google search should sort you out...

3. rg287

Three in the UK - Hendon, Glasgow and Croydon, which has caused some consternation in Parliament. The issue got extra attention when thugs tried to drag a protestor into the Chinese consulate in Manchester last month (the consulate is a legit consulate operation, but the incident rather demonstrates the lack of regard our guests have for local law and their preference for extra-judicial operation).

The Irish government closed one down in Dublin in October.

They usually pose as visa services/advice bureaus but are generally staffed by Chinese Police officers, "encouraging" dissident émigré to go home.

2. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

See, see. Winston and C-Milk leading the way as usual...

Now about the milk dogs.

3. Irony Deficient

another Xi lie like he declared victory on poverty

Not again. Victory was not declared on poverty; victory was declated on extreme poverty.

6. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Big Brother

Strong smell of 1984 here.

Big Bruv luuuurves y'all. Just keep on praising Big Bro, keep your head down, do your work like a good little sheeple, and do not make waves.

Otherwise the Stasi might come after you, deport you back, and convince you that Big Bro really do love you.

7. localzuk Silver badge

3 hours a week?

So, 152 hours a year? Can't even 100% Skyrim in that time.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: 3 hours a week?

156 hours...

8. Ali Dodd

Blizzard is pulling out of China

All Blizzard online games e.g. WoW, Diablo, OverWatch etc will be pulled from China on the 23rd of Jan, Surprised to see China is not claiming this victory then... or maybe it will as another 'sucess'

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Re: Blizzard is pulling out of China

That seems to be caused by a contractural dispute between Blizzard and the Chinese firm that acts as the Publisher there.

But no one seems quite sure if this is a case of:

- One side being overly demanding (both sides blame the other);

- A clash of personalities at the top (the CEO of the chinese side blamed a "Jerk" for all the problems - not exactly professional conduct anyway),

- Or that this is actually being driven by the Chinese Government - conveniently using a contractual dispute (exacerbated by their demands) to remove Blizzard from China.

It could be any or all of those things...

9. razorfishsl

Hurray ... Communism wins again...... until the restrictions are lifted , and then it starts all over again....

Mind you they did build the pyramids and found Egyptian civilization, so clearly they know they are right...

Just like their laws communism is retroactive, it invented EVERYTHING and was responsible for all learning in the world ... long before it was even considered an idea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like