back to article World Cup phishing emails spike in Middle Eastern countries

Phishing attempts targeting victims in the Middle East increased 100 percent last month in the lead up to the World Cup in Qatar, according to security shop Trellix. Its researchers documented a spike in these email-based attacks between September and October, when the volume of malicious emails doubled. Miscreants used FIFA …

1. James O'Shea

or you can do what I plan to do

and just ignore the whole mess until the World Cup is in a country not as obnoxious as Russia or Qatar. Allegedly 2026 will be in Canada/US/Mexico. I foresee trouble, not least playing at Azteca in the summer, or even the autumn. And if in the autumn, the good locations will be booked for American feetball, college and pro. And the weather might be interesting. This weekend there were several instances of heavy snow causing problems. A lot of the really good stadia are in places like Indiana (Notre Dame; massive snowfall this Saturday, the home team won 44-0 'cause they're used to Northern Indiana weather; the visitors wore all white, it's damn hard to make a pass when you can't see who you're passing to because he's wearing white against a white background) and New York State (the Buffalo Bills pro game had to be moved to Detroit because of snow https://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2022/11/20/1137579787/buffalo-western-new-york-snow-photos) and if you make the games too early, places like Florida, Texas, and Louisiana may have a slight hurricane problem. California might have a slight wildfire problem, and Colorado is almost as bad as Azteca.

And, of course, there's always the chance that The Orange One returns to power. It's not a great chance, but it's there. The US will then be on a par with Russia and Qatar, and I'll probably be watching from Canada, if I watch at all.

1. jmch Silver badge

Re: or you can do what I plan to do

"I foresee trouble, not least playing at Azteca in the summer, or even the autumn..."

Mexico has already hosted 2 summer World Cups in 1970 and 1986, and my memories + footage I've seen show matches played in daytime. Heat was also a problem in US World Cup in 1994. Sure it must have been tough on the players, but they're fitter nowadays right? And matches can be played in Mexico and southern US states in the evenings while early afternoon matches can be scheduled in Canada.

Looking forward to all the anti-Russia and anti-Qatar protesters turn their focus on USA treatment of minorities and prisoners combined with restrictions on abortion (because life is sacred) and non-restrictions on guns (so what happened to life being sacred??)

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Hypocrites

-> a litany or moral and ethical concerns related to attending the World Cup in a country with a horrible human rights' record that built its stadiums using migrant workers whose treatment has been described as "modern slavery."

Let's hear these same people say "we will not buy gas from Qatar nor supply it with weapons". They won't, of course. Nor do they have moral or ethical problems doing the same with the USA.

1. DishonestQuill

Re: Hypocrites

A lot of people do say that and have been saying it for years, go read some of the old articles on The Intercept from 2014-2018.

People complain about all sorts of things all the time but its ignored by most because it's not "news" until it's occurring at the same time as the world cup or something similar.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soccer World Cup?

I’ve heard of it

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

slavery, propaganda, torture

far as I'm concerned, it's the Giant Toilet - in the native tongue there "merhad amlak"

Any scams on ticket holders - I have no pity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like