back to article Amazon reportedly considers laying off 10k employees

Online megacorp Amazon is the latest tech giant to be linked with sweeping layoffs following reports that up to 10,000 redundancy notices will start to be distributed to employees from this week. Loquacious unnamed sources faimilar with the process told The New York Times that cuts are coming in corporate and technology jobs …

1. Dinanziame Silver badge
    IT Angle

Amazon has 1.4 million employees, but how many are in warehouses or driving trucks, and how many are tech workers? I assume the article is about 10k tech workers fired, because they probably fire 10k warehouse employees every single day.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

Stupid twitter account name

What I want to know is why the hell is Eli Lilly's twitter account "LillyPad"???

WTF. That sounds like the worst fake account name ever.

3. gerryg

Missing information

The article tells us that Amazon is known for its gruelling and cut-throat environment. Further, that staff attrition is achieved through what seems like the investment bank annual appraisal bottom 10% have to go approach.

However if salaries are significantly higher than the industry norm (are they?) then this would be useful to know.

In such circumstances Amazon's behaviour would not then seem unusual if not particularly pleasant.

Not particularly relevant but intended to illustrate my point, a thousand years ago when I was in a reasonably well paid job in a not awful if not great environment, the consultancy firm we were working with dangled a carrot but I declined because as a bit of a square peg, I preferred my then risk reward ratio to a potentially short term opportunity to earn a lot of money in a round hole.

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Re: Missing information

From very personal former experience, they do pay very good salaries, at least coming within shouting distance of contract rates.

Add to that, stock options (though if I'd stayed I'd be pretty miffed with the performance if I hadn't been able to cash out during the peak). In addition, at least during the peak of the pandemic, a very generous personal purchase policy for home office. That may now be gone, though.

For that... well, the cited ElReg article is very much spot on, it just isn't complete. It's, well, it's a cult. You drink the kool-aid and yes, you are lost to the rest of the world. Everything you say, no matter how trivial, that relates in any way to the company must be filtered. To ridiculous extent.

However, what isn't mentioned at all is that the company (at least AWS) is already fractured into fiefdoms led by empire-builders. How you do, whether you become a celeb who holds forth at events or whether you're PIPed, all comes down to what kingdom you end up in.

I went from 10 months of some of the most amazing work I ever got to do in my career - and a prized Accolade - to absolute hell on Earth in a matter of weeks, doomed by a re-org (former manager left, his manager lost in inner-AWS warfare and up the chain). You can't even simply change to a better or more interesting team because your manager essentially can poison the chalice. Even the people you used to successfully work with and who know better, can no longer touch you with a 10-foot pole.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Missing information

"People don't leave companies, they leave managers", as they say. Very true in my experience. A good / bad manager makes or breaks your experience.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Meh

You have to be young and naive to not know large companies are badly managed in every possible way and as an employee, you are nothing more than a cipher.

5. the Jim bloke
    Boffin

Musk said recently Twitter was losing $4 million a day and so needed to make sweeping cost reductions to keep the wolves from the door.

Rather than cutting costs and people- and therefore the ability to deliver your product.. how about improving their quality, so people are actually satisfied with your product, and willing to pay for it?

absolute crazy talk, I know..

especially for something like social media, where you would have to pay me to use it..

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Yeah but, improving costs money.

Laying people off is just a tweet.

Of course, you spend the next month trying to get actual, competent people back again, which is work, but Musk is not doing that work.

He's just poking more holes in the hull of the Twittanic.

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Dump & swap

From what I see, the layoffs for self-driving cars, Twits, and Metaverse are real. Everything else is purging highly paid staff to make room for cheap and desperate hires. Layoffs in Q4, sell on brief stock surge, hire back for cheap next year.

The flaw in this plan is that companies are rushing it and making too many mistakes.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, that explains it.

According to various sources, Amazon regularly "PIPs" between 6 and 10 percent of its workforce during review periods, and is known for its extremely grueling and cutthroat environment.

So that's why I keep getting tapped up by recruiters trying to get me to join the Amazon fold.

8. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Flame

Thread hijacking:

The fake account announced Eli Lilly would begin making insulin for free, and was picked up widely enough to briefly depress the company's stock price, so that $8 account may have cost Twitter millions in ad revenues

On that one: insulin costs ten times the European price in the US. Big pharma is gouging people in need.

For a reminder, When inventor Frederick Banting discovered insulin in 1923, he refused to put his name on the patent. He felt it was unethical for a doctor to profit from a discovery that would save lives. Banting’s co-inventors, James Collip and Charles Best, sold the insulin patent to the University of Toronto for a mere $1. They wanted everyone who needed their medication to be able to afford it.

If people taking advantage of this kind of blackmail from Big Pharma were a little bit hurt financially by this false tweet, it's just a little bit of justice served.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

9. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Facepalm

They should take the package and consider themselves lucky....

It would have been real easy for Amazon to re-classify the employee's job as warehouse surge capacity for the upcoming holiday season.

"This transfer is entirely optional. You may choose to quit instead, with no severance."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like