"Hidden" posts due to "ancestor" being deleted by a moderator

This topic was created by John Brown (no body) .

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Hidden" posts due to "ancestor" being deleted by a moderator

"This post is hidden from public view because one of its ancestors has been deleted by a moderator."

Anyone know when things changed? It used to be a moderated/deleted post only affected that post. Now it seems any replies to that deleted post are also hidden now.

I understand if the reply was quoting the offending part of the moderated post, but this seem like a new behaviour to effectively delete all replies to an offending post.

1. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

Re: "Hidden" posts due to "ancestor" being deleted by a moderator

I wondered the same thing. I'd replied to a comment about Space Karen, fwiw; actually I disagreed with it, but both disappeared as a result of whatever was the problem. Would've been nice if there was even just a half-line summary of what was the deal...

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: "Hidden" posts due to "ancestor" being deleted by a moderator

Going back through my old posts, it would appear that this has also applied to everything since the year dot. i.e. Everything that was visible, despite the O/P having been axed, is now hidden.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: "Hidden" posts

Hi, can't remember exactly when things changed but yeah, if we remove a comment it also removes the child posts. Previously, you'd end up with a thread with gaps in it - removed posts - which would just confuse folks and look messy, so we tidied it up.

We rarely remove posts: mainly if they are legally dodgy, misinformation, or if they point out an error that we've fixed. Those sorts of posts just add noise and reduce signal. We thus sometimes trim out threads that distract the discussion from the meat of an article.

If you spot any problems with stories, drop us a note to corrections@theregister.com and we'll fix it up as soon as we can. Much faster than reading through every comment, which takes us away from writing and editing.

C.

2. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

I got another of my posts hidden for saying mean things about Atos. Y'know, the murdering bastard company.

3. heyrick Silver badge

Seemed to be "useful" in that article about a meteor "slamming" into Texas to remove the entire thread pointing out the very clickbaity nature of the article title.

Hmm, vultures aren't supposed to have thin skin. You've noticed the claws, right?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

SNR

We write hundreds of headlines a month, not all of them will be perfect. But when we realize where we can do better, we fix 'em up as soon as we can, learn for the future, and continue. If a correction note is warranted, we'll add it. Drop us a note to corrections@theregister.com if you think we've fallen short somewhere.

As for removing posts, see my other comment above.

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon