back to article Amazon freezes corporate hiring amid worsening economic outlook

Amazon is freezing hiring of new corporate positions across the company for the rest of 2022 amid worsening economic conditions. "We're facing an unusual macroeconomic environment, and want to balance our hiring and investments with being thoughtful about this economy," Beth Galetti, Amazon's SVP of people and technology, …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Why does Amazon sell stuff?

Making a loss on every sale at the everything-store, while failing to make it up in volume

Just so AWS can subsidise an Aliexpress with books?

2. ravenviz Silver badge

About time Amazon felt the pinch!

3. codejunky Silver badge

Are the people happy yet?

Isnt this what people wanted? Sky high energy prices increasing the costs on people, business and government and so making everything more expensive? We dont want no polluting power generation, we want magic and unicorns to power our lives and demand electric cars to 'save the earth'. But of course some people will be happy to see their lives get worse as long as those 'evil' companies suffer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Are the people happy yet?

Tufton Street's Calling ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Are the people happy yet?

Tufton calling to the faraway towns

Now culture-war is declared, and battle come down

Tufton calling from the underworld

Come out of the closet, you boys and girls

Tufton calling, now don't look to us

Phoney Brexitmania has made us bite the dust

Tufton calling, see we got lotsa swing

And it that don't work we got that truncheon thing

The ice age ain't coming, Murdoch's Sun's zooming in

Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin

Engines stop running, cause I have no fuel

'Cause Tufton is drowning, and I live by the river

With Apologies to J.Strummer.

4. ivorb

Some of this is self-inflicted

Until last year, Amazon was my typically my first port of call when shopping. With Prime, it was so easy and reliable. It got harder though to find the correct item with all the third-party (typically overseas) vendors flogging poor quality knock-offs but masking it with all the fake reviews. That made the selection process harder. Then there were occasional delivery goofs (items that vanished between warehouses) and occasions where their delivery drivers in their rush to keep moving would drive over a flowerbed while turning round (upset wife being the bigger issue). The final insult was this year when the cost of prime went up $20 which prompted much debate as to the bang:buck ratio. Further, half the time a 'prime delivery' item would still take a week to arrive (normally not a big deal but it did raise eyebrows).

Prime Video and Prime music were nice, but I wasn't using them much and there's other offerings out there.

Amazon have probably lost more than this $20 in lost orders since I now look around. Ebay may be the wild west but not much worse than Amazon (and frequently ends up being cheaper), many other local stores now offer delivery (or click & collect style outdoor pickup) so it's a bit more inconvenience shopping around but overall it's cheaper.

Discussions with friends and co-workers shows I'm not the only one. Amazon's gamble in bumping up the price and failure to police their third-party sellers has lost them many customers. Back when they started, they seemed to excel in customer satisfaction, but now they seem to have lost the plot

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Re: Some of this is self-inflicted

Prefer eBay any day, at least you get the tangible option of dealing with bona fide traders and, shock horror, actual people!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like