back to article Minecraft's 'first luxury goods collection' features real-world $3,000 Burberry coat

Blockheads with $3,000 burning a hole in their pockets and a desire for a new coat can now blow their dough on a Minecraft-themed garment from high-end fashion brand Burberry. Famed for its signature tan check, Burberry says its Minecraft tie-up unites "two brands with shared values of exploration, creativity and self- …

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Blockheads Don't Wear Burberry

They've got womanly breasts under pale mauve vests

Shoes like dead pigs' noses

Cornflake packet jacket, catalogue trousers.....

But no raincoats.

1. jake Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Blockheads Don't Wear Burberry

Ran across my mind, too.

RIP, Ian.

2. Dave K

<checks date>

Hmm, you're nearly 6 months early with this story. Might want to pull it until the beginning of April next year perhaps?

I mean, it can't possibly be a serious story can it? If so, then I guess there's not enough stupidity in the world...

1. Plest Silver badge

There will never be an end to methods from which fools may be parted from their cash!

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"one of the most iconic fashion brands in the world"

Oh, you mean Gucci ?

Because Burberry is rated 18th here.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "one of the most iconic fashion brands in the world"

The only brands on that list that I have in the house are several items from number 15 (inherited from my maternal grandmother and over 100 years old), and number 25 (the jeans fit me, don't wear out in two weeks, and are inexpensive. Same for the lined jackets.). I do not remember ever owning any of the others.

Not sure what that means in the great scheme of things. Probably nothing.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

I still have a Burberry waxed olive green lightweight jacket I bought over 50 years ago. I think it was about £5? Rewaxed a few times, and a bit worn around the pockets, but still wearable. Fortunately with a detachable plain beige plush lining and no tartan at all. I bought it to keep warm and dry, presumably before they were "fashionable".

1. David 132 Silver badge

Not to contradict you, but are you sure you're not thinking of Barbour? When I think of waxed green jackets, that's the name that comes to mind. I didn't even know Burberry ever made such a thing. But then again, I'm a bit of a Dwayne Dibbley when it comes to matters fashion.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
            Facepalm

You're right, senility and anomia have finally crept in. I could try the excuse that I now live in one of the hotter, drier, bits of Australia, so I only wear the jacket a few times a year, but...

2. Giles C Silver badge

What does that list say about me, I just looked through and the only brand I have ever owned on it was a north face jacket about 15 years ago.

Which has long since been thown out.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Wait... Old Navy, TJ Maxx, and GAP are still alive?? I thought they'd all gone bankrupt ages ago.

4. RichardBarrell

To be honest I clicked on the story hoping for a picture of the coat.

1. Tom Womack

It's a perfectly normal high-quality overpriced beige coat from the front (https://us.burberry.com/monogram-motif-waterloo-trench-coat-p80647751) but with a really surprisingly ugly white creeper-face design in the small of the back.

I was thinking Burberry might be charging that much for a Burberry-check in-game skin, which would have been a bit more than averagely silly at the height of the NFT nonsense and absolutely ridiculous now.

5. imanidiot Silver badge

F2P shit

I can't help but think this is the sort of stupidity that ruins a game. I played a lot of Minecraft in my youth. Starting at the original alpha release before there was even such a thing as mobs. The attraction of the game was just how simple it was. And I could imagine for parents it was also relatively straightforward, play once and never worry about micro-transactions, just let the little sprog play with what he has (and keep an eye on installed mods if applicable). Nowadays it seems that death-by-a-thousand-cuts is the default payment methods for all games. No up front payment but daily whinging and whining about a few euros here, a few euros there, "But Timmy gets this", "But Monica got that", etc, etc.

1. RobLang

Re: F2P shit

I still play Minecraft the way you describe, started in Alpha before mobs too. When my son was old enough (and I had enough spare parts to cobble together a second desktop) we play together. We've not seen any death-by-a-thousand-cuts in the game we play. When my daughter stops trying to steal the mice to pet them, she'll probably play too. It's a touch more expensive to buy and there is lots more to do but it's otherwise much the same game.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: F2P shit

Yet my kid plays it and has done for years without ever asking for anything to be bought on it. I have when she's been particularly good bought her something as a treat but there is no pestering etc.

Parents should try parenting a bit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh, what?!

I was a player of Minecraft for many years, and stopped only because the launcher started insisting that I set up a Microsort account or it wouldn't let me play, not even solo. I'm getting an MS account sometime never, so that ended my Minecraft playing days.

As for fashion, fashion is for sheep. Not all fashion suits everyone, and blindly following fashion can result in you making yourself look ridiculous. Finding a style or styles that suit you is more important, if you want to feel good about how you look, and who made the items you look good in is irrelevant.

Burberry? Only thing I know about Burberry is that it was associated with chav's the few times I heard of it.

Yes, I'm out of touch with, oh, so many things that I don't give a damn about.

Insert obligatory "Kids today, gerroffamylawn"-stye rant for legal compliance.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Eh, what?!

Miss Minecraft? Try Minetest! No account, free!

https://www.minetest.net/downloads/

I prefer it over Minecraft, because I don't have a MS account. The boy likes Minecraft, he has a MS login for the xbox...

7. nintendoeats

That catalogue is hilarious. Seeing some super-serious super-model walking around in a scarf that you normally see on tweens. Highly amusing.

The upcharge is also amazing. Literally a t-shirt...600 bucks...I can get a minecraft t-shirt from a thirft store thanks very much.

1. Howard Sway Silver badge

$400 for a baseball cap, that notoriously luxurious and chic high fashion item.

However I must confess to owning a Chuckie Egg t-shirt, although you could buy 20 of them for the price of that cap.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Must have been a freaking inflation rate in the U.S.of A.! 1'000$ for ahoodie?!

3. Martin
      Happy

You exaggerate. The t-shirt is only $570. That's $20 for the t-shirt and $550 for the word "Burberry" in a naff font on the front. A bargain - I'm getting two.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like