back to article China's third and final module docks with Tiangong space station

China's third and final space station module, Mengtian, has docked with the Tiangong space station after launching on Monday from a Long March 5B rocket at Wenchang Space Launch Center. After eight minutes of flight, the module separated from the rocket and went into a low-Earth orbit before docking with the space station, …

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Webs in space

There has already been an experiment with spiders creating webs in space: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/spider

"And although the spiders were exposed to microgravity and radiation in space, they did not morph into mutants; rather, they adapted quite well and provided a biology lesson learned around the world."

and: https://nerdist.com/article/spiders-build-webs-in-space-microgravity/ It seems that leaving the lights on is essential for good webs.

2. Zolko Silver badge

Ariane 6

And in the same news, SLS launch was delayed by months and the Ariane 6 rocket is delayed to end 2023.

3. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Blah blah blah

-> NASA Administrator Bill Nelson issued stern words

So what? NASA does not own space. And it doesn't speak for the population of the earth.

1. Lordrobot

Re: Blah blah blah

Bill Nelson, Deliverance kid all growed up, speaks to redneck dropouts of the world that hates CHINER.

2. Joe W Silver badge

Ehm... I am quite sure that in this case he speaks for all who live under the orbit of the space junk. One day it'll take out somebody's eye (and head, and building around them, and likely parts of their village).

No, the US do not own space, but neither does China own the Earth, and even then they should not scatter space crap all over the place.

3. Casca

Wait until you get a chinese rocket on your head...

You really hate the US and the west don't you?

1. A. Coatsworth
        Trollface

"I don't hate the West, but $0.25 are $0.25"

--Lordrobot (probably)

2. Zolko Silver badge

Wait until you get a chinese rocket on your head

has it ever happened that someone got a part of a rocket in re-entry on his head ? What size of probability are we talking about ? Because if it's less than the probability of a heart-attack, then I suspect propaganda to talk badly from Chinese space successes.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

Long March 5B Landing site

Is “Earth” enough information?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Re: Long March 5B Landing site

I'd like Elon Musk to take a page out of the Chinese book. Keep the Falcon 9 rockets reusable, just make life more fun by having a flightpath randomiser module fitted. So they zoom up diddly up up, launch their payload, then perform a few random burns and drop out of the sky. Then the challenge for the rocket is to find the flattest place it can, and try to land on that.

Rockets landing on motorways, in parks, on people's patios. And I'm especially looking forward to the landing radar getting confused and trying to do a Thunderbird 1 and land on a swimming pool...

5. Lordrobot

As usual can't just respect the independent Achievement

Bill Nelson had to add the stern warning as Mr Bringdown... but Bill failed to mention such stunning achievements as the Teacher in Space, the Criminal Astronaut that used NASA COM to lift money from her lesbian lover's account WHILE IN SPACE! No stern warnings for that. And the famous heat tiles over Texas disaster, where the debris and crew member were strewn over five states.

Stuff Happens in Space but for some reason, the John Wayners of Murica, only see problems with the effort of others. One important fact not discussed in the article is that the Chinese Space Station has both conventional engines as well as ION engines.

NASA has been riding the High and Mighty virtue signalling for a long time. Oh did I mention the US saved Britain and Europe's Bacon from Hitler? Just a reminder.

Boeing’s Starliner charges approach $900 million... How about a stern warning for insane cost overrides that the Taxpayer must stomach from the AMTRAK Space Program?

Tax and Spend Bill Nelson should be removed from NASA.

1. Casca

Re: As usual can't just respect the independent Achievement

Wow, that was a long wordy post about nothing...

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Hi Bob.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Hi Bob.

Sounds like a love child between Bob and AManFromMars..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I always found the fact ...

.. that the US didn't allow China to participate in the ISS due to China's space sector having direct links to the Chinese Government and defence areas somewhat of a lame excuse.

After all, the US may not have any DIRECT/WELL KNOWN link between their space arm and defence arenas, but I do find it strange that they managed to get the X37 working and operational so quickly without any help from NASA ...

If China is such a threat - wipe them out pre-emptively - the US have done it before with Iraq and WMD - there's precedence ... the rest of the world won't do anything - they'll just be glad it's not their country that's being wiped out

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like