back to article AWS warns of demand slowdown as customers seek to cut spend

Amazon has joined other major tech players in offering a gloomy view of its financial future, earning itself a massive share price cut – and even its booming cloud business is not immune. The e-tail giant today posted Q3 2022 revenue of $127.1 billion – a 15 percent year on year increase. Net income of $2.9 billion was $300 …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Gimp

The fun thing is that as organisations "repatriate" their work workloads from their cloud vendor to save costs; they're realise how completely ridiculous the data egress charges are and they're almost being held hostage (see icon)

1. FILE_ID.DIZ
      Gimp

Your statement presumes that those organizations haven't been subsumed by the lure of all those "SaaS" features that various clouds offer, "bonding" you to their cloud (using the same icon) with the fragrant (but elusive) lure of "cheaper pricing and quicker development" prospect...

2. Peter-Waterman1

Whenever I hear someone saying things like "repatriate workloads", I immediately assume they are working for Dell, HP, IBM or some other dinosaur. Soon followed by phrases like "hows that cloud working for you" or "someone else's data centre". All of this makes me chuckle, as they have zero idea about what companies are doing on Azure/AWS these days.

2. spireite Silver badge

Cloud is costly?? You don't say....

Cloud has its benefits, but my god.... your available cash goes down faster than a tarts knickers....

I do most of my work in it, and what I seem to find is the simplest of things seems to be the costliest.

What astounds me still, is the lift-and- shift mentality by default still prevails.

Companies still don't realise, or refuse to, that you need to do your systems differently to reduce cost OOTB when deployed in cloud.

I've seen systems that when self-hosted in a DC have excessive logging switched on 'just in case we need it'. That's fine, put it in a cloud environment, and you'll see costs rocket.

Azure Log Analytics, cheap on the face of. Activate logging into it on a very chatty system, and you could see literally 1000s of pounds of spend magically appear.

3. Bitsminer Silver badge

Quotation soup

I always like to read the excerpts from the press releases (or actual verbal quotes) from the various high-level managers or marketing droids.

And Simon never fails to amuse: from a "stinker" to a "sinker". Poetic.

AWS VP: They can manage workloads better.

Because nothing AWS does will, and the product(s) don't save money by themselves. Wait a second.....

AWS VP: They can switch to .... higher cost/performance ratios.

Of course, this saves no money at all, if you take him literally.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like