back to article 2023: The year SK Hynix expects profit-whacking dip to end, and 238 layer RAM to debut

South Korean memory maker SK hynix has posted a grim set of financial results, but the company has pinned its hopes for an eventual turnaround on its development of beautiful new tech. On Wednesday, the chip slinger reported overall operating profit plummeted 60 percent year-on-year for Q3 2022 to ₩1.7 trillion ($1.2 billion …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Poor SK Hynix: Only making $1 billion dollar profit in a quarter. I wonder if we should have a whip round and buy them some food stamps.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

"Our plan is to mass produce 238 layer by 2023."

238 layers ?

I'm missing something. There can't be 238 layers. It must be some technical 2-3-8 or something like that.

1. Return To Sender

Re: "Our plan is to mass produce 238 layer by 2023."

238 it is.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17525/sk-hynix-announces-238-layer-nand-mass-production-to-start-in-h12023

1. short

But NAND, not RAM like the header suggests? I'd got my hopes up that we were about to see insane RAM densities all of a sudden.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Yes the headline seems to be in error, it is NAND that is produced in many layers. Unfortunately a similar technology does not exist for DRAM, or at least hasn't made it to mass production.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like