back to article Teen dream team reboots Rolling Rhino into Rhino Linux

Rolling Rhino, a project that turned Ubuntu into a rolling-release distribution, is restarting development under a new name: Rhino Linux. We wrote about Rolling Rhino last spring. Yes, it's another Ubuntu remix, but with a different goal. Most Ubuntu remixes just replace the desktop, bundle a different set of apps, or make …

1. teknopaul

Go team

Ubuntu so needs one of these. There regular pain of upgrades is getting to me. Even at two year LTS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Go team

It's called Debian/sid.

2. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Go team

> Ubuntu so needs one of these.

As @badflorist said, it's called Debian Sid.

That's why I described my recommended way to get it and run it in the penultimate paragraph.

2. DoContra
    Meh

Making OJ out of lemons?

As much as I love a) Debian/*buntu and b) rolling release distros, I remain skeptical of trying to beat Ubuntu alpha/beta repositories/Debian experimental/sid into a usable, stable-ish rolling release distro for the simple reason that, outside of Ubuntu post beta, their source of packages isn't really meant to be stable nor up-to-date with upstreams (and at times, it can even break "on purpose").

OpenSUSE got this right with Tumbleweed: it's mostly its own thing, outside the normal route/packaging chain for the non-rolling release. There was (is?) some interest in doing the same in Debian (or, somewhat more radical, changing sid into essentially a rolling distro), but so far it hasn't meshed well enough with enough Debian Developers...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Making OJ out of lemons?

I'm not aware of any plan, ever, to change sid into anything besides what it is, table fresh. You can run sid without upgrading or selectively upgrading but, it has to be a lot like a "rolling distro" because where do you think the code comes from for rolling distro's? hint: sid

"Rolling distro" is a bad term because they never really roll away to anywhere, they simply mutate in place. Mutatstro?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like