back to article Kakao CEO quits, South Korea hits emergency button after dire datacenter blaze

One of the CEOs of South Korean super-app Kakao has resigned in the wake of the datacenter fire that disrupted it and other web giants. Kakao operates messaging, rideshare, e-commerce and many other services in South Korea. Most were unavailable for much of the weekend after a fire at the third-party datacenter hosting its …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OVH vs. Kakao

" OVH’s fire in Strasbourg, for example, destroyed customer data and took many businesses offline for weeks without resulting in an executive’s career being derailed."

Sure but the OVH clown CEO is french (as I am), and failure is often spun out, in France, like the whole OVH fiasco, or the whole power cuts we'll soon have, should the thermometer go down a bit, like it's gonna do like every year, in November.

South Korea has, I reckon, a different culture, where people acknowledge their failures and quit.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: OVH vs. Kakao

The real difference is that OVH is a family affair, it was founded by Octave Klaba and three other family members and is still managed by the family: Octave Klaba is the chairman, Henryk Klaba is the president and Miroslaw Klaba is their R&D director

So firing someone at the top would make Christmas dinner a bit awkward

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: OVH vs. Kakao

"The real difference is that OVH is a family affair, it was founded by Octave Klaba and three other family members and is still managed by the family: Octave Klaba is the chairman, Henryk Klaba is the president and Miroslaw Klaba is their R&D director"

Yep, and this is the reason you need to run away (far) from them if you're in need of DC hosting.

2. Tron Silver badge

A fire at a third-party datacentre - would you be happy to lose your job for that?

SK has its own local tech so that it never needs to 'take back control' of its digital borders. They used to slow access to global tech to promote the local hangul version, causing havoc for tourists. SK tech companies play by SK rules. Unfortunately, having all your eggs in one small nationalist basket like that makes your tech much less resilient than global tech.

No tech is 100% and in general, digital is less resilient than physical. Politicians do not understand this and throw a hissy fit when everything stops working, ordering companies to be perfect. But tech will always go down. Upgrades, fires, hackers, workmen, angry Australian wildlife, the CIA cutting your cables.

Always have an old school 'Plan B'. Pens, pencils etc. Carry cash to get you home, have some in for when the internet banking and e-payment systems tank, and employ people who can add up (or use a calculator). The more dependent we are on tech, the more damage there will be when (not if) it goes down.

1. TiredNConfused80

Re: A fire at a third-party datacentre - would you be happy to lose your job for that?

I guess it depends on what their options were... If they could have had backup facilities in another location and chose not to (too expensive etc...) then it is his / thier own fault. If on the other hand they couldn't put it anywhere else then it's not really their fault. (I don't know how many data centres are in SK, I would be very surprised if it was just one though).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like