back to article Upstart Ransom Cartel linked to REvil veterans

It has been almost a year since the ransomware gang Ransom Cartel was first detected and the crew over that time has racked up a steady drumbeat of victims in such countries as the United States and France and from a broad array of industry sectors. Analysts at MalwareHunterTeam believe the group has been active since December …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

API hashing ?

How on Earth does that work ?

I get code obfuscation, I get memory management, I get encryption, but how do you hash an API call in a way that allows you to get a useful answer ?

I've used APIs before. If you don't send exactly the properly formatted call, you get an error in return.

So ?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: API hashing ?

It's a way to obfuscate the Windows API calls used by malware to make reverse engineering more tricky. It's down at the executable level, where the program imports functions from libraries. See:

https://www.ired.team/offensive-security/defense-evasion/windows-api-hashing-in-malware

C.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: API hashing ?

Now that is an interesting link. It's going to take me some time to wrap my head around that.

Thank you.

2. devin3782
    Mushroom

Well we already have voyeurism-as-a-service from the four horseman privacy apocalypse (Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung) so I guess why not have crime-as-a-service seems like a logical next step

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like