back to article Apple remembers it makes iPads, updates fondleslabs

Apple today announced an updated iPad Pro and a redesigned entry-level iPad. Cupertino talked up the new iPad and iPad Pro models alongside a third-generation Apple TV 4K that supports HDR10+ and sports an Apple-designed A15 Bionic processor, a step up from the previous gen's A12. The revised iPad Pro, likewise, is an update …

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

The Walled Garden still makes me want something else.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

Remind me

After reading this rambling article, I've completely forgotten which iPads you were dissing.

1. Snowy Silver badge

Re: Remind me

All of them I think.

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

' "new"

"a new Apple Pencil "hover" feature that previews marks on the screen before the stylus makes contact."

Is that 'new'?

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: ' "new"

It's ancient. I had it back on a tablet from probably around 2004.

4. Alan Watson

Particularly idiotic

USB-C port but the only Pencil version it is compatible with only charges from Lightning. I can't think of a single more obviously stupid decision from any tech company at the moment - plenty of bad ones, but for this level of "obviously a bad idea but somehow they can't see it" you need to look at Liz Truss's Government.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Particularly idiotic

EU directive so they have little choice. What they should have done is embrace USB-C sooner and had all their ducks in a row.

2. J. Cook Silver badge
      FAIL

"Oh, but you can get a charging dongle to go from USB to charge the pencil."

Or I can go and buy a lightning to lightning coupler and a lightning cable and charge it that way without the fool thing flopping around in the breeze.

There's probably a reason for it, but it's either not a good reason, or it's tied to large-ish contracts for companies that use the base ipad as a foundation for their products. (like point of service terminals and such.)

3. Julz

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MQLU3ZM/A/usb-c-to-apple-pencil-adapter?fnode=72809a32b7a2b6eeddbd50ed6007105bc1effd0acdf4c7f77b36ecb5695a0d6f96591e830ba986ac4ed30d94b8ee288df487112b44b462f4b59ce5284ce866f6262bdd39f8bf6d26f428c4d7d9e86637ee0e8ec94dfd6648ef4d3da714aaf908

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"you need to look at Liz Truss's Government."

Update alert <sound of sirens and GIF of flashing lights>

She resigned! It'll be someone elses government within a week.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Joke

adopting the squared-off edge form factor of newer iPhone and iPads

Wait...what??? After years of fuss about rounded corners, they're going back the square corners? What will we ridicule them over now?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like