back to article Samsung, TSMC in US patent infringement investigation

Samsung and TSMC are facing an investigation by the US International Trade Commission (USITC) over allegations of patent infringement involving chips and mobile devices containing those chips. The USITC said that it will begin an investigation based on a complaint filed by Daedalus Prime LLC of Bronxville, New York, in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot?

A patent suit that does not involve Apple?

Did I just feel the earth move beneath me?

Or... perhaps APPL is next to be sued?

These NPEs are [redacted] pieces of Sh1t.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Wot?

It does involve Apple since the TSMC chips that would be banned from import power pretty much every Apple product. Between TSMC and Samsung for sub 14/16 nm technologies probably account for something like 90% by value of all consumer electronics would be banned from import into the US.

Even if this is a truly valid patent, there is no way any judge is going to make that order.

2. MiguelC Silver badge

Let's call it the "No chips for America" suit

A patent infringement suit against Samsung and TSMC, and another one against Qualcomm, on chips 16nm and smaller that, If successful, would result in a ban on imports of those chips to the US.

Hmmm...

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Let's call it the "No chips for America" suit

A better name would be "give Intel a monopoly". Presumably Intel granted themselves a perpetual license for these patents before selling them to Daedalus.

3. Lordrobot

US CLAIMS CHINA HYPERSONICS MADE WITH US TECHNOLOGY

That means Chinese Nukes can't enter the USA. USITC will not tolerate such insolence.

At some point, no foreign company should sell anything in the USA. We are back to the YOU STOLE OUR IP CRAP... A few years ago a lawyer had a patent on a wire that went through fabric. He terrorized trade shows suing companies that had made wearable technology where a wire penetrated the fabric to the battery pack. This is typical US patent nonsense. Prior art never mentioned battery-heated socks which were in the Public domain. I think the Transformer guy may be this lawyer again.

Only in Murica.... "Did you make this ladder?"

"Yup"

"Well, I have a patent on the first rung of any ladder-type climbing device."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blame Gelsinger

He does anything for money, doesn't care about the outcome for anyone else, cnut

5. YetAnotherXyzzy

"According to media reports, Daedalus Prime is a non-practicing entity..."

AKA patent troll.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like