back to article Samsung's Ukraine headquarters damaged by Russian missile strike

Samsung's Ukraine headquarters were damaged during a Russian attack on Kyiv that began Monday morning and which killed at least 14, injuring others. The barrage of missiles, sent as retaliation for the destruction of the only bridge from Russia into Crimea, hit the city center and mostly civilian targets, including playgrounds …

1. TimMaher Silver badge
    Mushroom

German Visa Office.

This was also hit. As it is in the grounds of the embassy, it is in German Federal territory.

Does that mean that NATO should now get involved?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: German Visa Office.

Is it? Normally embassies aren't sovereign territory. Was this something Germany set up with Ukraine specially?

2. EvilDrSmith

I thought it was a consulate building, not the embassy,

I think an embassy counts as the territory of the state it represents, but a consulate building is effectively just an office building used by foreigners.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Both embassies and consulates are considered sovereign territory of their respective countries (source)

Although, as Russia did not claim to have targeted the building (it wasn't even directly hit), it probably wouldn't be considered an act of war against Germany unless in - the extremely improbable - case Germany wanted it to be so

1. EvilDrSmith
          Happy

I've learnt something - Thank you.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Although, as Russia did not claim to have targeted the building (it wasn't even directly hit), it probably wouldn't be considered an act of war against Germany unless in - the extremely improbable - case Germany wanted it to be so

Like the USA accidentally bombing the Chinese embassy in Belgrade.

3. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Does that mean that NATO should now get involved?

Don't you mean 'more involved'? But the visa office was inside the same tower as the Samsung office. I'm also not sure how sensible this statement is-

"Our R&D team keeps working and contributing its part of Ukraine's victory," said the vice president.

as it's taking a side and contributing to the conflict, rather than remaining neutral. Not that it could really be neutral given the sanctions. It's also possible the building was collateral damage given half the reported Russian missiles were intercepted, and the remains would have to have landed somewhere. As for chips, a short while ago the Bbc showed a PCB apparently from a Russian missile with a TI chip on it, and claiming that as evidence that Russia was still managing to obtain Western tech. The chip was a DSP I'd worked with in the early '90s though, so probably easily substituted, especially as it's long been discontinued by TI.

2. DS999 Silver badge

Circumstantial hit?

That assumes the Russians are targeting anything in particular, rather than just shooting missiles randomly at cities hoping to kill and terrorize innocent civilians. Putin is livid with the realization Russia has lost this war and will lose even the territory he took in 2014 by next summer, so he's having a tantrum.

There were no identifiable military targets in these latest attacks, he has shed all artifice that Russia's attacks have anything to do with military goals.

If I was Ukraine once they (hopefully) get the air defenses they are asking for from the US I'd go all in on destroying that Crimean bridge so Russia can't repair it. With an inability to resupply via the Black Sea since Ukraine's home grown missile killed Putin's flagship, and an inability to supply overland through Crimea, Russia would only be able to resupply via the eastern border - which is getting smaller as Ukraine reclaims territory and is vulnerable to attack with HIMARS.

Putin is out of options other than terrorism. Hopefully those who have stood silent like India and China will see enough strikes on civilian targets and decide to stop helping him. They don't need to take part in the sanctions just make it clear to Russia that they will re-engage full normal relations once they have a leader other than Putin. I don't know how close that is to happening, but the more Putin attacks civilians the closer it gets I'm sure.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Circumstantial hit?

There were no identifiable military targets in these latest attacks, he has shed all artifice that Russia's attacks have anything to do with military goals.

I think you may be believing a variation on the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy. But most of the MSM encourages that. Example appeared today, from the world's most authoritative and expert state owned broadcaster-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63225947

Ukraine's emergency ministry reported several S-300 missiles had fallen in and around Zaporizhzhia, with one destroying a residential building in a suburb. It said a family were pulled from the wreckage.

Which highlights a huge problem with modern conflicts. S-300 is an air defence missile, not a land attack missile. Any SAM or missile in general is expected to obey the laws of physics. So if an interceptor misses it's target, it will still land.. somewhere. Or it'll self-destruct, and fragments will land somewhere. Even if it manages a successful intercept, there will be fragments, and potentially a live warhead. They might not hit what they were aimed at, but they're going to hit somewhere. This is an old, and ongoing challenge. So during the first Gulf War and the threat of Scuds carrying WMD, people pointed out that if the missile is descending pretty much vertically, the remains of the Scud will land near it's original target.. Which was especially risky, if they carried chemical payloads given they'd probably still be viable.

But the current missile battle has seen 100+ missiles fired at Ukraine, with claims of 50% intercepted, so a lot of warheads sadly flying around. Both sides use S-300, so harder to state who's SAM it was. It's also why Ukraine is desperate for replacement air defence systems because it's been firing a lot of it's inherited S-300 and Buk missiles, and Russia's rather unlikely to sell it any more. Plus if it expends all/most of it's air defence missiles, it'll give air superiority and control to Russia, who can then proceed with long-range bombing.

1. EvilDrSmith

While it is correct that the S-300 is primarily a Surface-to-Air Missile. it has been widely reported that the Russians are using S-300 as surface-to-surface missiles.

Moreover, this is not a claimed capability that has suddenly appeared during the course of Russia's war on Ukraine.

This article (will need to be translated) dates from 2011, and refers to that capability:

https://naviny.by/rubrics/politic/2011/10/17/ic_articles_112_175478/

(I can't vouch for the reliability of any information within it, but the claim of S-to-S use is there, and clearly pre-dates the Russian invasion)

While it is correct that the S-300 is primarily a Surface-to-Air Missile. it has been widely reported that the Russians are using S-300 as surface-to-surface missiles.

I think this is why there's distrust in media. Back around March/April, Russia was running out of missiles. Since then, it's been using a lot of ghost missiles. If you need to explain why an S-300 has hit a civilian building, claim it's been modified to use in a land attack role rather than a well known problem with firing missile interceptors, ie gravity. It's a bit like expecting people to believe Russia is shelling an NPP it occupies/controls. Most of these claims also seem to originate from Ukraine as well.

Sure, it may be possible, but it's also possible they're misguided missiles. Or Russia (or Ukraine) knows how to spoof/jam their guidance system. Or they were faulty in some way and went off-course. But we do know both sides have been firing a lot of them, and stuff happens. They are, after all both very reliable given the number of successful intercepts claimed, and useless given claims made by sales types flogging Western systems.

But it also explains some of the small impacts. Sure, S-300's don't have particularly large warheads, but some 'civilian' targets have shown small craters, So possibly the results of an incercept or destruct failure. Missile may contain fuel, or just the mass/kinetic energy produces the damage. Or it could just be bad reporting, eg-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-300P_Bastion-P

rather than S-300 given the K-300's already designed as a surface-surface missile, and has a larger warhead. Those were in Crimea, and Ukraine doesn't exactly have much of a Navy, so re-purpose a few of those.

1. DS999 Silver badge

It has been widely reported that Iran is supplying Russia with missiles, which are basically copies of Russian designs.

So?

My point is the angry thumbs seem to be denying gravity. What goes up, must come down. That includes interceptor missiles, along with whatever they may have damaged rather than disabled. All of that is going to land somewhere, and this is being ignored, or spun for propaganda. The MSM also studiously ignores damage to civilian 'targets' caused by Ukrainian shelling and missile attacks. So for example the 8yrs of off & on bombardment of Donetsk, including use of cluster munitions and anti-personnel mines. But those details are in OSCE reports, and explain why we're in this mess now.

1. DS999 Silver badge

No, we're in this mess now because of Putin and only Putin. If he hadn't invaded Ukraine in 2014 none of what you claim Ukraine's military did would have happened.

That's like placing all the blame on the Allies for bombing Dresden, which wouldn't have happened if Hitler hadn't started WW II.

If he hadn't invaded Ukraine in 2014 none of what you claim Ukraine's military did would have happened.

Except Russia didn't invade. I assume you're referring to Crimea, which was a major Russian Naval base, and changing that was one of the West's objectives. But prior to Crimea voting to joing the Russian Federation, there were other events. Like a bit of a coup, regime change and a hand-picked Ukrainian government put into power. That conversation between Ass.Sec Nuland & Ambassador Pyatt. Yats is 'our' man, fsck the EU and all that. And lo, it came to pass, and the killings started..

That's like placing all the blame on the Allies for bombing Dresden, which wouldn't have happened if Hitler hadn't started WW II.

More like creating a regime change in Germany, putting AH into power, and then slowly realising that was a bit of a mistake. Both for Germany, and the rest of the world. How history has a bad habit of repeating itself. OK, so we didn't actually select AH, but we did kind of create the environment that allowed him to seize power.

But such is.. ok, etymology. Check out the use of 'rashist' in this conflict. Growing in popularity amongst the elite and diplomats. "Being rationally racist towards someone of a different ethnicity, using facts and rational thoughts. Get the rashist mug". Of course there's merch. But racism is racism, even if it's against 'orks'. And I'm sure many racists consider they have rational thoughs and facts to justify de-Russification, historical revisionism and thousands of deaths since 2014.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Ah yes, I guess it is form for a right wing nutter to claim that the right wing puppet Putin managed to get installed in Ukraine being legally removed by Ukrainians was a "coup".

Ah yes, I guess it is form for a right wing nutter to claim that the right wing puppet Putin managed to get installed in Ukraine being legally removed by Ukrainians was a "coup".

Since when has an armed insurrection to kill or depose a democraticly elected President been legal? Isn't there something happening about that in the US at the moment.. Jan 6th and all that? Sure, there have been.. problems with democracy in Ukraine, and there still are. So Ukraine's been busily jailing or banning opposition members, parties, media. Personally, I think the Crimea referrendum was fair, and in line with UN principles of self determination. Much as I recognise the right to Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland's autonomy. Again that was one of the issues that lead up to current events, ie post-coup, the new regime removed the limited autonomy Crimea and some other regions had enjoyed. That was also one of the options for peace, ie setting up Crimea and Donbass like we have for our UK regions. It was probably too late for Crimea, but arguably could have resolved issues with the DPR & LPR. But instead we've decided to use Ukraine as a proxy in our conflict with the dreaded Putin, with disastrous consequences.

Ironically, we have a similar situation with Scotland and the SNP's demands for independence. Or SNP threatening to hold their own independence referendum. That's pretty much the same situation as Crimea, but hopefully won't result in us shelling Glasgow. Plus we probably don't have the ammo to do that anyway.

3. xyz123

Russia Targets Samsung employees (and more importantly to Samsung -Senion Execs) for assassination basically as punishment for them ceasing to do business with a failed Terrorist state.

yeah thats gonna make IBM, Oracle, Google etc want to ever return to Russia......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@xyz123 - In case you missed it

The companies you mention and all other tech left Russia because they were forced to do it. They will go back there immediately as soon as US allows them to do. A fat bank account weighs more than moral principles. Besides, there are so many natural resources there that they can hardly wait the installation of a puppet regime to replace Putin once he is no longer useful.

When somebody says it's not about the money, it is about the money.

4. elregidente

I live about two blocks away from the Samsung building.

When that missile hit, I looked out the apartment window (15th floor) and saw the mushroom cloud of smoke rising from the impact site.

I walked down a few hours later, took some photos.

People generally do not post photos, or write about impact sites, because the Russians use that information to assess strike damage and calibrate aiming.

I blogged about it on the morning, it was all happening, writing while explosions were still coming.

https://www.amazonredshiftresearchproject.org/slblog/2022-10.html

I went out yesterday and looked at the crater by the bridge leading to the Soviet-Ukrainian friendship arch, built by the Soviets during the occupation. There's nothing else there, BTW. The area is a nature reserve, a big park basically, also a main road running along the river. Either it was a missile which went well off course, or they were aiming for the bridge. You have to wonder, give it was the Kerch bridge which was hit a few days ago.

On the way up to that crater, to my surprise I passed another - there's a big long main avenue which heads right up into town, and it's how I walk up into town. At a cross-roads, where the park is where I play chess, a missile had struck. That area, it's big old buildings, the Institute of This or That, and this lovely park. I've now seen a photo or two of the impact site just after that missile struck, and I see a car in flames, people running.

Re: I live about two blocks away from the Samsung building.

At a cross-roads, where the park is where I play chess, a missile had struck. That area, it's big old buildings, the Institute of This or That, and this lovely park.

Ah, the park. As the Bbc puts it-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63199721

"I think they wanted to hit the university building and the monument to Hrushevsky. Those are important symbols for us, it was a symbolic attack."

Symbolic targets? It's hard, this early, to discern the logic.

Dear Bbc. It's actually not that hard to understand the logic, or symbolism-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volodymyrska_Street#Places_of_interest_on_the_street

Security Service of Ukraine

AKA Ukraine's SBU, or the people Russia claim were responsible for the attack on the bridge. And according to rumor, the head of the SBU's cyber division may have been killed in the missile strikes, either at his desk or in his vehicle. It also mentions the EU Delegation office is on that street, so that would make for a politically interesting target. Much like the stray bomb that once hit a Chinese embassy in the first Libyan bombing.

As for the innocent bridge over the park, that's perhaps a more curious target. Especially as the missile missed it. But wait, what is this?

EUAM-Ukraine Headquarters

Volodymyrs'kyi descent, 4c, Kyiv, Ukraine, 01001

https://www.euam-ukraine.eu/news/euam-headquarters-suffered-damage-over-russian-missile-attack/

Following the Russian missile and drone attacks in central Kyiv on 10 October, the headquarters of the European Union Advisory Mission sustained some damage. There are no casualties among Mission Members.

This conflict is getting interesting for what's not reported, or the way it's reported. Especially if EU buildings were the actual targets. And being a local, it's a little suprising you were unaware of these buildings.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

Another Russian war crime.

Time will tell if Justice will be served.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like