back to article Crypto exchange Bittrex coughs up $53m to end claims of US sanctions busting

Bittrex will cough up $53 million after being accused of flouting US sanctions and breaking federal money laundering laws and other banking rules. Specifically, the cryptocurrency exchange will pay $24 million to settle allegations made by the US Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and $29 million to the …

1. badflorist Silver badge

Corruption all around.

"Instead of utilizing widely available NSA backdoored transaction monitoring software..."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“Did Business”

LOL

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile ..

Google Cloud now accepts crypto currencies because if there's a good rip off going, Google doesn't want to miss out.

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile ..

Actually they accept payment in real money via an exchange who will convert your dodgy cryptobollock tokens for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile ..

Ah, a new place to launder your crypto coin gains. Wonderful.

4. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

2 people trying to review 11,000 transactions a day. Yep that will be fine...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Linux

It's easy. You look for the transactions with the stripy jumper emojis...

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Ha! My gang use the dollar-sign-bag emoji.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise surprise surprise

Pay the fine/fee/bribe and nobody goes to jail. Ahh the rich life. Reminds me of a laptop once owned by an adult finger painter that took over his deceased brother's wife and daughter.

$53M fee for $263M in dirty dealing, less that 20% tax on crime. Got to keep them profitable for the next fines\fees\taxs\bribes. Don't want to kill your cash cow. (smarter than goog)

6. druck Silver badge

Not a suspicious activity report but - instead of all of them

"Bittrex's failures created exposure to high-risk counterparties including sanctioned jurisdictions, darknet markets, and ransomware attackers."

If that isn't the entire point of a crypto exchange, what is?

7. Mister Dubious
    Unhappy

Shrinkage

It turns out the $53 million is actually only $29 million. Fines totaling the larger amount were assessed, but "FinCEN said it would credit the fine to be paid to OFAC towards the total fine they imposed, meaning Bittrex will pay $29 million in total" according to Molly White of "Web3 Is Going Just Great."

Bittrex' owners can afford a few more beers than we'd hoped.

8. Fifth Horseman

Meths?

Here's me thinking Bittrex was the nasty tasting purple dye added to methylated spirit to deter Glaswegians from drinking it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like