back to article Microsoft warns: Windows 11 update breaks provisioning

The Windows 11 2022 Update that Microsoft started rolling out in September is in its teething phase, with warnings of unexpected restarts and half-completed out of box setups for users when deploying on new devices. Those applying provisioning packages (.PPKG files that are used to help configure new devices for use on an org' …

1. b0llchit Silver badge
    WTF?

Marketing in charge of upgrades

...the upgrade experience...

My head just exploded. Blood all over keyboard. My Reader Experience could not cope.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Eduroam CAT

JISC are reporting possible issues with the Eduroam CAT & 22H2.

1. James O'Shea Silver badge

Re: Eduroam CAT

Doesn't surprise me. Eduroam is a total shitshow in the first place. Eduroam + MS Update? Hell waits for thee.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Eduroam per se is just an 802.1x authenticated SSID. The problem is that many clients are aimed at consumers so don't make setting up 802.1x easy. (And don't get me started on Android client fragmentation)

2. James Dore

Wireless is a shitshow. Eduroam is just one of the more widely-used implementations, thus more reports and more complaints.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Wirelss itself is OK. But just like security, cheap IoT devics barely pay lip-service to the wireless standards so cause most problems.

3. Jan K. Bronze badge

Now I'm having a déjà vu of déjà vus?

Still wonder how many man-hours there are around the world rolling back or repairing borked updates... who pays?

4. 43300 Bronze badge

Hands up who is surprised! What? Nobody?

I've also seen an RDP issue reported:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1018151/windows-11-22h2-cant-connect-to-a-rds-server-after.html

I've not been able to reproduce this in testing though.

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Oh great, another bug that has been reported for several month and ignored. Mine, reported since June, is that "previous versions" is empty for local drives. You cannot access shadowcopies, even though they are there. Nailed it down to NtFsControlFile error 1450 in ntdll.dll/kernel32.dll.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You had just one job ....

FFS !

6. James O'Shea Silver badge

And just one of many reasons

why I will never, ever, just 'update' MS anything on my work net (with certain exceptions, see below). And why we will never, ever, use Win 11. Except as an awful example. There is a certain very senior person who thinks that Macs are trash and Linux is worse, and who adores MS. I set him up with a Win 11 laptop. I made sure that he could update that device as he saw fit.There is a little note from him asking me to send someone over to fix a few problems. I have dispatched my least competent PFY. This should be fun. In the meantime, the Mac, Linux, and Win 10 devices work; Apple and Ubuntu don't usually screw up updates, and Windows updates go on the Win 10 systems when _I_ say that they go on, and not one millisecond before. And that is _after_ my minions verify that MS hasn't screwed up too badly this month. Which usually means after MS issues a patch to patch the patch which was issued to patch the previous patch. We are going all Mac and Linux, and it can't happen soon enough.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: And just one of many reasons

I assume your very senior person and your least competent PFY aren't Register readers, then.

The PFY is, the senior guy isn't. El Reg doesn't respect Redmond enough. Why, El Reg dares to post articles which might somehow imply that something that MS did wasn't absolutely perfect.

The PFY knows that he's not great, and that he gets handed the shit jobs as a 'learning experience' and he lives in hope that we'll hire a new guy who can take his place as the low guy on the totem pole.

2. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

> We are going all Mac and Linux, and it can't happen soon enough.

That is for your applications to decide. It they work on those two: Go.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll add to the above comment - I also take it your organisation doesn't require CyberEssentials or any other basic security competencies/certifications? Because you can't manage a fleet of anything more than 5 PC's manually when it comes to patching and you can't just not apply them either.

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Same old, same old Microshit

They really are the pits when it comes to update quality.

Provisioning is absolutely key to businesses. To Fsck this up is just abysmal.

When will MS expand their release QC dept from one part timer to one full time position?

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Re: Same old, same old Microshit

QC department? It was disbanded a long time ago when they ramped up the spying... erm, sorry, telemetry.

Now all users are (paying) members of Microsoft's QC.

8. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Microsoft warns: Windows 11 update breaks provisioning

In other news:

Man paints wall. Paint dries.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Printing issues? Printing issues of what?

I'm assuming the writer of the article means problems. Issue is not a synonym for problem and it never has been.

Also, here for the omg wtf lol bbq m$h@ft comments

1. heyrick Silver badge

British English:

* to have difficulty or disagreement with someone or something

American English:

* a subject or problem that people are thinking and talking about

Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/issue?q=Issue

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

UK speaker here: I'm aware of the usage and certainly use it myself, but it's a weaselly euphemism for "problem". We like euphemisms over here but we shouldn't forget that they are euphemisms and are therefore just a socially acceptable form of dishonesty.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
          Trollface

In ITIL parlance (so from UK gvt), an issue is an isolated incident with an impact on an handful of users.

To go to the "problem" level, you have to impact the CEO or his secretary, directly or through their bonuses.

2. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

oh, call it Bug, Issue, Errata, Error, Defect, Recto, Slip, Flaw, Problem, Glicht, Slight, Wrong, Invalidity, Quirk or whatever their marketing department will call it next time to mask an error of the software/chip/political decision/etc.

They will love those fighting around the meaning of a word instead of looking at the cause.

10. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

In other news

The pope remains a catholic

Bears still shit in the woods

Well as the old proverb says "nothing in life is certain apart from death, taxes and m$ update borking computers"

So glad my old pc cant run win11.....

11. Steve Jackson

Unsupported device (although I suspect it would work fine i5 7thGen, 8GB, TPM 2.0) on W10 RP (19045) being offered W11 22H2 (22621/22623)....

12. James Dore
    Facepalm

Kerberos Cross-Realm trust logins also borked...

We saw all our W11 22H2-updated machines fail to log users in if they were using Kerberos credentials. There was an error message about time discrepancies and then a refusal to log in. AD credentials worked ok, but most of our users use their University SSO (Kerberos) credentials. Total Phuqage ensued.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kerberos Cross-Realm trust logins also borked...

isn't Kerberos used for SAP authentication from the SAP fat client?

(asking for a friend)

13. Pete B Silver badge

Deja-poo

When you've seen this s**t before.

14. fidodogbreath Silver badge

Why aren't I being offered 22H2? It might be your printer

Printing is hard, apparently.

The only computer in my house that can print consistently and correctly is a 2009-era Mac Mini that's running Mint. "It just works," in stark contrast to the commercial-OS-powered boxen we have laying around -- including some that explicitly claim to "just work."

15. gratou

"safeguard your upgrade experience"

A new low here?

Looking forward to more providers who should supply service XXX and who safeguard my XXX experience by not providing XXX.

Jerks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like