back to article Linux 6.1: Rust to hit mainline kernel

The first big change for the forthcoming Linux kernel 6.1 is in… and it's a big one. Kees Cook made the pull request and Linus Torvalds accepted it earlier this week, meaning that Linux 6.1 will soon have direct support for Rust code, as teased earlier this week. The initial support is in the region of 12-and-a-half thousand …

1. claimed Bronze badge

Rust Lust

Must Bust... Just Dust Fussed Cplussed Cussed. Trust.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Rust Lust

>Must Bust... Just Dust Fussed Cplussed Cussed. Trust.

Rust lust thrust thus must combust with disgust! Unjust but robust, must adjust.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

I'm just amazed at how quickly the South Africans got that statue up in Capetown!

3. jake Silver badge

To be clear ...

This isn't "Rust is officially a Mainline Linux Kernel Language!", per se. Rather, it's "Rust might show up in some drivers, eventually. Maybe. If anybody (the vast majority of whom are very well versed in C) can be arsed."

Rust will not get into the kernel until it has full GCC support. And we all know how the Rust community feels about working with GCC, which is written in the much hated and vilified C (BOO! HISS!). Last I heard, there were only two developers actively working on this, with an experimental partial Rust GCC front-end expected by mid-summer next year. Maybe.

No, Mainline kernel development is not moving to llvm/clang anytime soon. Not enough hardware support.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: To be clear ...

And we all know how the Rust community feels about working with GCC, which is written in the much hated and vilified C (BOO! HISS!).

So rewrite GCC in Rust.

1. jake Silver badge

GREAT idea! I'm so happy you volunteered. You'll want to get right on that, before someone else steals your thunder. When can we expect your first release?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

It looks like some missed the sarcasm, which I thought would be obvious. Rewriting something working is a last resort and even then nearly always doomed.

1. jake Silver badge

You think my reply was serious?

Yeesh.

2. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

I mean, you're absolutely right, but... didn't I said that in the article?

And in the last one, too?

And *of course* the Rust fans told me I was a horrible bad evil person because I characterised the state of Rust support in GCC as preliminary, and quoted -- because I'm a terrible awful writer -- I quoted... I can hardly bring myself to admit it...

I quoted the Rust-in-GCC project web page. I quoted its README.

- Liam P.

Evil biased anti-Rust bigoted fake journo

1. jake Silver badge

Chill, Liam

I was agreeing with you, just consolidating it for the tl;dr set.

—jake, evil meany poo-poo head commentard

4. cardich

Rusted kernels?

Sure, Rust will hit Linux hard if it makes it into the Linux kernel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rusted kernels?

Well, infected, or more appropriately colonized, yes that's what fungi do:

From https://old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/27jvdt/internet_archaeology_the_definitive_endall_source/:

<graydon> > A little. Also big metallic things. And rusts and smuts, fungi. And it's a

<graydon> > nice substring of "robust".

<graydon> I think I named it after fungi. rusts are amazing creatures.

<graydon> Five-lifecycle-phase heteroecious parasites. I mean, that's just _crazy_.

<graydon> talk about over-engineered for survival

<graydon> fungi are amazingly robust

<graydon> to start, they are distributed organisms. not single cellular, but also no single point of failure.

<graydon> then depending on the fungi, they have more than just the usual 2 lifecycle phases of critters like us (somatic and gamete)

" TL;DR: Rust is named after a fungus that is robust, distributed, and parallel. And, Graydon is a biology nerd. "

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rusted kernels?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/disease/rust-diseases

Oh, and I forgot to mention it's a fungal disease of plants too... So it's the creeping mycelium of identity politics and similar leftist ideology coming next to your open source project.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know much about the details of Rust but I do know if you misgender the mascot you will be CANCELLED

1. jake Silver badge

Last time I noticed, the mascot had no preference of gender and could be called whatever you like. Including late for dinner, no doubt.

Ah, yes ... here ya go:

https://www.rust-lang.org/learn/get-started#ferris

Kind of refreshing in this modern era, actually.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

From the Rust Code of Conduct

From https://www.rust-lang.org/policies/code-of-conduct:

" And if someone takes issue with something you said or did, resist the urge to be defensive. Just stop doing what it was they complained about and apologize. Even if you feel you were misinterpreted or unfairly accused, chances are good there was something you could’ve communicated better — remember that it’s your responsibility to make your fellow Rustaceans comfortable. Everyone wants to get along and we are all here first and foremost because we want to talk about cool technology. You will find that people will be eager to assume good intent and forgive as long as you earn their trust. "

That's why I absolutely won't have anything to do with Rust. I feel so strongly about this kind of bullshit that if the language ever goes mainstream like C has, I will change career and leave software development for good. I have already started experimenting with hardware stuff, FPGAs and SystemVerilog.

I am so angry with what has happened to the whole open-source software development community, with these censorious speech codes being imposed on everyone. I completely understand tackling extreme examples of verbal abuse. However people can have their career ruined over trivial things, because of these codes of conduct. No thank you. Open Source used to be about freedom from such authoritarian rules. Well I'll just move on to other things.

1. sreynolds

Re: From the Rust Code of Conduct

Seriously, you'd give up on something because of what some group that steer a project wrote on their blog regarding how they feel about development of the language?

You don't have to agree with those terms you use rust. You can and should be a loud mouth opinionated person and still use Rust.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In fact the Code of Conduct I linked to is on their main web site, and is not on a blog and is definitely not somebody's personal opinion.

And because it's an official policy, yes, I will stop contributing to the project and will not interact with it's community. As I entirely refuse to be subjected to it's code of conduct, which is what I would be required to abide by. So by rejecting it, I refuse to be ruled by these leftist ideologues that created it. Or I suppose I could contribute anonymously under a pseudonym.

Also, when the project adopts such codes-of-conduct it happens to attract a community with similar political values, so I want to avoid it all as much as possible, as it's very likely to be the "pronoun people" who will censor you at a moments notice if you say something they deem offensive, by ridiculously over-broad standards.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

> And because it's an official policy, yes, I will stop contributing to the project and will not interact with it's community. As I entirely refuse to be subjected to it's code of conduct,

It boils down to "be nice to people and don't be a dick". If you're going to struggle with this, perhaps joining a large group of people attempting to co-operate on something complex isn't the best idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

This type of response is pretty much typical of code of conduct proponents. It is much more than "be nice to people and don't be a dick".

It also sets up a formalised punitive, hierarchical power structure. So it affects the relationship between the contributor and the core team. Now there is a formal disciplinary process, with potential real-world consequences for your employment, should your supposed "violation" become public, as some Codes of Conduct do. Yes they will give you a public warning - so your potential employment may be affected if they Google your name. I wonder how that is compatible with the GDPR? And if successful prosecution is possible?

To sum it up, it's a form of authoritarianism, something that liberals used to be so strongly against. Of course I fully agree with kicking repeat highly abusive people off the forums. However the code of conduct goes far beyond that, and it has in extreme cases been used to remove people with political opinions that the project maintainers disagree with.

So it's all about power in the end. And who gets to set the rules.

It's turning open source projects, which can be fun and enjoyable, into just another form of unpaid employment. With all those corporate rules and regulations. And this is probably just the beginning, once they got their foot in their door with the code of conduct, expect more buraucracy to arise with time. This stuff plays out over the long term, so I'm talking about 10-20 years. Meet the new boss, just the same as the old (well unpaid this time!!!!).

Digressing a bit here: the London Hackspace, which has a Code of Conduct has a web page on their Wiki listing rule and code of conduct violations... Surely that must be illegal under the GDPR? I wonder what the Information Commissioner would think about that, because these peoples' employment could be affected should there be a frivolous or otherwise unfounded complaint?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

AC said: "I refuse to be ruled by these leftist ideologues"

Ac said: "a form of authoritarianism, something that liberals used to be so strongly against."

Same AC or not? Curious to know since "leftists" and "liberals" don't usually like to be confused with each other. Or are we talking about left-leaning centreists?

I'm not especially bothered by the discussion, it's topic or favouring either "side" here.

1. jake Silver badge

I think it's not what you are talking about, it's who you are talking to.

PDNFTT

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So it's preserving my personal freedom by not allowing these control freaks to have any power over me. And I am "doing my bit" to preserve freedom of speech by voting with my feet and boycotting those who try to infringe upon our rights.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Update: Wow, the London Hackspace CoC situation is even worse that I thought... They posted a disciplinary notice publicly to Google Groups. I really would like to know if that is legal under UK data protection laws, note that the hackspace is a limited company? Any lawyers here to look into this, and possibly take that up as a case?

https://groups.google.com/g/london-hack-space/c/c3Bqd6RwEiI

The person who did the ban was Samantha Thompson.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Another one in 2019... All made public, there is no way this can be legal? Or is it?

https://groups.google.com/g/london-hack-space/c/Q8K872WbpKM/m/VYQwmph8AgAJ

https://groups.google.com/g/london-hack-space/search?q=Grievance%20procedure%20

2. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Two responses spring to mind:

№ 1

They tell you to follow Wheaton's Law and you threaten to stomp off in a huff?

Sheesh. I think it's better that you don't attempt to join *any* programming community at all, then.

Have you considered Lisp?

№ 2

It's particularly amusing since I get more hate-mail and criticism when I write about Rust than any other programming language.

(Except C, obvs. But we all know those guys are weirdos, right?)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, and that is what I will do, I will find something else to do with my time instead of associating with people who advocate and enforce censorship so much. I will gravitate towards languages that don't enforce such codes of conduct. And stay away from minority languages, which have a code of conduct, such as Rust which only make up a few percent of the code out there.

I just cannot believe what I'm reading here, it absolutely smacks of Orwell's 1984 and conformity / thought policing.

Yes the Rust language gets so much hate mail precisely because of these leftist politics. Because they (Graydon Hoare, and others) have intentionally injected politics into the language's community. They did this to a technical community, that should be free of such politics. Specifically the Code of Conduct has been implemented to appease radical/extremist feminists who have grossly exaggerated the "harassment" problem within the open source community. Yes there are some shouters out there such as Linus Torvalds, but again it's a manifestation of the modern day "safetyist" mindset where all danger is to be eliminated, without any regards to our rights... Look at the mass surveillance that's going on nowadays, and this is done supposedly to "protect us"....

These code of conducts and other authoritarian measures have no place in a free society and they should be removed or replace with something more liberal, where only repeated, serious problems will be dealt with formally. And trifles left to be dealt with by the individuals themselves, as adults are supposed to... Then on top of that the code of conduct can end up discriminating against true minorities, like those who are on the autism spectrum, or those with other neurological problems and can can be rude unintentionally. People who can come across as "weird" and end up making someone "uncomfortable", but they mean no harm and pose no danger to anyone. So they are promoting one class of "minority", typically easily offended feminists, above another minority class: those on the autism spectrum. And the tech community is full of those on the spectrum.

Thing is it that these codes of conduct actually infantalise the community, they treat them as children than have to be protected from someone's abrasive speech... That is not a good thing to see happening in society, and represents a wider general trend:

https://psyarxiv.com/5g7nc/

https://www.aei.org/op-eds/american-safetyism-makes-parenting-harder-and-scarier/

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

This is nothing to do with trigger words or protecting anyone from things they can't handle or anything. It is not to do with the audience; it is to do with the actor.

It is saying: be a decent person, don't be unpleasant to others.

And the *reason* that so many technical communities are adopting such policies is because precisely such communities are full of people with poor social skills and little understanding of social niceties. They need to be told because they think these things are not important.

Being decent to others is a necessity for any society. People who cannot work that out _do_ need to be told, yes, and those are precisely the sort of individuals who think that being told "don't be a d1ck" is restricting their freedom.

Freedom of self expression does not include freedom to be a d1ck to others. Anyone who thinks it does IS A D1CK, and they need to be told not to be, and then this guidance needs to be enforced.

Anyone who cannot handle a simple instruction like this is not fit to be a member of any community, online or otherwise.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

A long time ago I discovered that if you're nice to people, they tend to be nice back to you.

Why does this matter? Unless you're some kind of hermit, you're going to need to interact with other human beings. That interaction will likely include you wanting them to help you achieve a goal you have. Being nice to others is a dead easy first step to getting people to help you. Saying "Please" & "Thank you", using their correct name, pronoun, gender identify, etc are all simple things you can do.

Maybe I'm getting too old for life, but I prefer people being nice to me verses being hostile or agressive. I find it makes life easier and more pleasant.

YMMV.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

https://users.rust-lang.org/t/rust-says-tech-will-always-be-political/43627

" Rust believes that tech is and always will be political- take some time today to invest in your community. " - well that is why it's radioactive waste to me.

6. sreynolds

It's just rust....

I am guessing the baggage and cargo that comes with Rust won't be supported. I just can't see myself doing kernel builds that go and fetch ssoftware versions from a Microsoft controlled site of all places.

7. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Joke

Another option

With the proliferation of BPF in the kernel and the rapid expansion of io-uring, you can start to see the kernel becoming a microkernel.

See icon -->

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like