back to article Hot DRAM, Micron promises $100b for 'largest chip fab in US history'

Micron has committed to a $100 billion memory chip fabrication plant in New York State, just days after saying it was cutting back on investment because of weakening demand in the semiconductor market. The new facility will be the largest semiconductor fabrication plant in the history of the United States, Micron claims, with …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Words, words and more words

"...the next 20-plus years.... the first phase investment.... end of this decade."

Won't matter as I'm lifting all of humanity into ascension come 2029.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: Words, words and more words

Surely Ascension is too small? How about Zanzibar?

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

On the menu

> a $100 billion memory chip fabrication plant in New York State

Would you like some microchips with your pork?

Oh, you thought Micron was going to pay all that money?

Like the Boise facility, some of the investment for the New York megafab is set to come from funding made available through the federal government's CHIPS and Science Act

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: On the menu

That's a little unfair. The company are contributing a full colour rendering at their own expense

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: On the menu

"The company are contributing a full colour rendering at their own expense"

Wow, they are already at the CGI rendering phase of the project? That's fast work. Or are they just recycling the art from a previously promised facility? It must be old art or the roof would be covered in solar panels they'd never really intend to install.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. CapeCarl

"Your Tax Dollars at Work"

Well since I moved out of New York state last year to another New(ish) England state, just my federal tax $$$$ for this one.

"Corporate share of federal tax revenue has dropped by two-thirds in 60 years — from 32% in 1952 to 10% in 2013" (per https://americansfortaxfairness.org/tax-fairness-briefing-booklet/fact-sheet-corporate-tax-rates/)...Now we pay for companies to show up.

Not that I'm denying that chip plants are the new steel mills of the 21st century, and thus are required for national security, etc.

-- Former C programmer && Unix/Linux Sys Admin (that made a good living via Moore's Law effect on technology, over many decades)

Re: "Your Tax Dollars at Work"

Still it's nice to see the Americans abandoning the failed capitalism experiment and embracing state owned industry.

Any news on when you all get the shiny biceps ?

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"Not that I'm denying that chip plants are the new steel mills of the 21st century, and thus are required for national security, etc."

As far as the US goes, steel mills are something desperately needed for national security.

1. Binraider Silver badge

Tell that to the remaining citizens of Detroit, that have seen their city gutted and machine tools shipped off elsewhere...!

It's a shame, Detroit produced so many iconic 60s car designs

In the 90s

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Making my prediction now, so check back in 5 years:

Micron will scarf the $100 billion subsidies, pay it all out as executive bonuses and share buybacks, and end up opening some kind of factory that makes washing machines before closing it because it's unprofitable.

"Micron will scarf the $100 billion subsidies, pay it all out as executive bonuses and share buybacks, and end up opening some kind of factory that makes washing machines before closing it because it's unprofitable."

The other tactic might be to open a much smaller facility since due to export laws they'll only be able to make chips for the US market. Once that is going they'll claim the international landscape has changed and in order to open another plant, they'll need a larger subsidy, free land, ten year tax abatements and extraterritoriality for the land they'll build the executive's homes and airport on. If they want to hold drunken parties where there may be underage girls, they don't want to be hassled by US law over it.

2. Binraider Silver badge

My "bet" is that the facilities will be built, and then as-quietly-as-possible shipped off elsewhere at earliest opportunity.

Thus needing even more facilities being funded at home.

6. sebacoustic
    Boffin

40 football fields?

How am I supposed to get a mental image from that?

For people like you an me, that's 10 µW (microWales)

Re: 40 football fields?

"For people like you an me, that's 10 µW (microWales)"

The Reg needs a static page that tracks all of these new units and conversion factors.

For a really large area can we use the decaTex (10x the area of the US state of Texas)?

1. gillburt

Yes, but is that an Imperial or Metric Texas

"Yes, but is that an Imperial or Metric Texas"

Metric, we'll get those bastards into the real world one way or the other. If the prefix is "deca", it has to be metric.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like