back to article Google Translate dropped in mainland China

Google has discontinued its China-based Google Translate app and site, translate.google.cn, allegedly because no one was using it. Beginning last Saturday, users seeking to visit the mainland China version of Google Translate were instead presented with a redirection to the Hong Kong page. "We have discontinued Google …

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

I rather wonder what is the reason for the change, considering the translation from/to Chinese still works for Taiwan and Hong Kong, or indeed anywhere else. Is there somewhere a hidden cost to keeping translate.google.cn working? Did they have to maintain a list of words to block in order to keep the answers "harmonious"? Did they find out the Chinese government was spying on the queries?

1. plunet

It's my understanding that they would have had to maintain a registration / licence with the Chinese authorities to be able to operate that service with a .cn domain name presumably also hosted within China. The registration and licence needs a named individual in China to be legally responsible for the service and be answerable for its content. With the increasing scrutiny of online services in China perhaps there was no appetite for the paperwork and personal risk.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

translate.google.com sl=zh tl=en works fine for me. As does translate.google.co.jp translate.google.co.uk translate.google.co.nz translate.google.de translate.google.co.za translate.google.co.fr translate.google.ie

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like