back to article IBM's 'bare metal' LinuxONE push: Did somebody say OpenShift?

Red Hat has released betas of RHEL 8.7 and 9.1 while its parent company IBM is offering Linux mainframe instances in the cloud, although only in some regions. If you're looking for some particularly resilient home in the cloud to run Linux workloads, Red Hat's parent company IBM has a new mainframe-based Infrastructure-as-a- …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

When you access RHEL on one of the LinuxONE machines it is really bare bones and "clean".

Yet, from the amd64 installer, I have yet to find the "minimal" install option. There is "custom operating system" but that still installs a load of crap.

When I install it manually on aarch64 (dnf into a chroot, similar to debootstrap / pacstrap) I install the "core" group but it still has more random cruft installed like Plymouth hooks compared to IBMs LinuxONE images.

Not enough of an issue to raise a ticket, more just a personal annoyance. What I really want is the concept of a "base" like the BSDs (and AIX) provides.

(apologies for my ramble. certainly recommend having a play. Perhaps buy one or two of the mainframes to heat up your house :)

1. AdamWill

"Custom Operating System" is the same thing as minimal (there's some silly history about why this is, it involves the "Fedora.next" effort from years ago, when we initially made some more drastic differences between the Editions than is the case these days). In Fedora, both "Custom Operating System" and "Minimal Install" are listed, but they do exactly the same thing (only install @core ). Sounds like on RHEL they got rid of "Minimal Install".

Special-purpose images like those for cloud envs can indeed be stripped down even beyond what's in @core , because we can know that some things which might be needed on a bare metal install aren't needed in that exact environment. There also some calls that get very philosophical, like should sudo be in there? fwupd? They aren't exactly full-on *required*, but they're kinda part of the core definition of what we think any Fedora/RHEL install should include. So it can be a tricky call.

You *can* create a kickstart and specify `%packages --nocore` , which tells the installer to *not* include @core, and then just list the exact package set you want installed, though of course you'll have to be careful to keep it up to date for really-critical new packages being added. You could also, I *think*, do this:

%packages --nocore

@core --nodefaults

%end

which would install only the 'mandatory' packages from @core, not the 'default' ones. (plymouth, for instance, is listed as default not mandatory). I've never tried it with @core and `--nocore` like that, but I think it ought to work...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RHEL9 still has an install option of minimal although it is no longer the default but minimal still includes stuff like plymouth.

My normal first action on installing RHEL is to set the plymouth.enable=0 option since it doesn't do anything useful especially when you've put the console onto a serial port and occasionally it screws the serial port.

PS lets hope they've tested RHEL9.1's installer on a server this time.

2. man_iii

suse on Z

i cant comment much on rhel or openshift on z but suse has been around longer with mature packages which would contribute to stability and less drastic changes. Just my 2p.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like