back to article Atos investor says turnaround plan 'too ambitious and complicated'

Beleaguered outsourcing tech giant Atos is coming under fire from a section of its investor community over the ambitious turnaround plan that will see the business carved up in two later this year. Cyril Charlot, founding partner at Sycamore Asset Management (SAM), gave a thumbs down to Atos' recovery blueprint late last week …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Under the move, Atos – whose losses are widening – waved goodbye to 12,370 employees in the first half of this calendar year and hired 16,089 people "predominantly in offshore and nearshore locations," mostly its the Digital and Security divisions'

Where did I put the popcorn. Can't wait to see how THAT is going to work out.

1. Valeyard

to make profits they must do the needful

1. Kabukiwookie

The 'needful'? By destroying staff morale, profits are going to pick up any time now.

2. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

Still nowhere near as many as the deaths that they're responsible for. Bastards.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seen at work today: uninstall of Office 365 32-bit to be replaced with 64-bit.

Install procedure gives an obscure error code. Me, the curious type googled that : "Proxy or firewall blocking installation".

Pretty damned obvious what needs to be done next if you ask me. Meanwhile, ATOS employee follows the script rigidly and asks user to reboot and try installation package again. And ATOS employeee then copies the installation media to local machine and tries a third time.

Now, not to discredit the individual on the other end - they were doing what they were told to do. But there are absolutely no signs of intelligence whatsoever.

If that's the standard the technical management set, then $deity help the senior leadership.

1. Tubz Silver badge

He'll be a low paid "Technical" courier style engineer and in his defence after working with many, they have the bare minimum IT skills and are expect to follow scripts verboten and no deviation, so the "helldesk" can try and support before they pass on to the next level of engineer and so forth until fixed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Absolutely, I would not knock the individual. It's the organisation around them that has failed both the customer and the staff.

2. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

This is following ITIL rules.

Unless you go to L3 support, you are following scripts and not allowed to deviate.

And you can blame the UK for ITIL on one hand, and MS on the other hand for the FW rules that have to be updated on a very irregular basis to allow continuous monitoring of what you are typing.

3. Danny 5

Ex employee

I enjoyed my time working for Atos, my colleagues were a pretty decent bunch of people, still hoping to get an invite for the retirement part for one of them, should be coming up next year. I've come to know the company as suffering from reorganisation sickness though, consistency simply isn't in their books, I've been in the situation where we were in the middle of one, when a new top manager took over and he pretty much reversed it, stuff like this happens constantly. If they could just have a stable policy for a couple of years, perhaps things would run a bit smoother, because everyone knows what to expect, but I know that's too much to ask for this company.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Mushroom

Go to hell

Outsourcing tech giants are exploiters. If ATOS goes down I would rather celebrate than cry.

== Bring us Dabbsy back! ==

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Go to hell

Just see what happens when ATOS is replaced by Crapita...

5. Mr Dogshit
    FAIL

It seems their strategy of continuously snaffling up other companies and guaranteeing annual pay rises for the senior management and guaranteeing dividends to shareholders whilst screwing their employees and customers isn't working then.

6. trevorde Silver badge

Simple turnaround plan

1. resource actions

2. relocation actions

3. offshore everything

4. C-suite bonuses

If it's worked for IBM, it'll work for Atos

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Atos employee here

As an Atos employee, I must say that management is seen as failing from the inside too.

In my unit (systems administrators in an european country) in the last two years more seasoned technicians have left the company than there are technicians in the unit. Just because thay felt they were not treated justly by the company. And since the pandemics made the job market move, they decided to quit, either their lifelong job or their recent new job.

And I'm thinking on it too. If i do, my team will suffer a lot: I'm the last custodian of the team heritage and mental information. My current colleagues are all new hires, even if seasoned. Why is this not paid?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like