back to article NTT Docomo claims first 5G network with both sub-6 GHz and mmWave

Japanese telco NTT Docomo claims to have the world's first commercial 5G Standalone (SA) network that enables smartphones to simultaneously use both mid-band (sub-6 GHz) and mmWave frequencies, known as 5G NR Dual Connectivity. The announcement was made with wireless technology company Qualcomm, which was keen to showcase that …

1. VoiceOfTruth

Very good, but one question

-> users with specific handsets are already seeing download speeds of up to 4.9Gbps

What is the use case for such high speed on a mobile phone? How much more YouTube can you consume? If it's tethered it might be useful.

1. MattPi

Re: Very good, but one question

What is the use case for such high speed on a mobile phone? How much more YouTube can you consume? If it's tethered it might be useful.

I think you hit it at the end: hotspots, vehicle wifi, mobile work stuff with a laptop and modem. It's not just download, if the mobile network gets quick enough, I can go work in a park or a cabin in the woods to get away if I like.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

What's the service area?

A 3 mile radius around NTT Docomo R&D lab?

3. that one in the corner Silver badge

Keeping us on our toes

by contrasting radio bands, one by frequency and one by wavelength. That won't onfuse anyone, will it?

On which point, by sub-6 GHz do they mean (sub, 6GHz), e.g. Long Wave, intruding on The Archers, or (sub-6, GHz) the comms used by Blue Submarine No. 6?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like