back to article Japan's NTT claims it's built 1.2Tbit/s optical comms that sip power

Japan's NTT Corporation claims it has developed technologies that allow data transmission at 1.2Tbit/s per wavelength in an optical system. As today's commercial kit delivers 100Gbit/s per wavelength, this is quite a breakthrough. But wait, there's more: NTT reckons its tech reduces power consumption to less than 10 percent …

1. Dr_N
    Trollface

Progress

This will speed up fax transmission rates for sure!

1. Def Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Progress

Fax transmission rates are measured in kilobits per second. You'd need a rack of ~30 million fax machines to max out a 1.2Tb/s connection.

1. Dr_N

Re: Progress

I guess I should have used a Joke Alert instead of Troll Face. My bad.

2. TJ1
    Go

Scpetical? No way! 1000km!?

I was expecting there to be a catch in all this since NTT doesn't mention the ACTUAL distance record they broke, but after a bit of ducking (DDG) I find that the the distance record for 800Gbps was 970km in September 2020 [0] and that has probably been surpassed since, so this new technology from NTT is definitely a significant advance - especially as it seems to be out of the R&D stage and looking for scaling into production.

[0] https://opticalconnectionsnews.com/2020/09/ciena-breaks-800g-distance-record/

3. ecofeco Silver badge

That's impressive!

See title.

4. Denarius Silver badge
    Joke

wow

more advanced real time tracking and monitoring with faster phishing distribution. Might even make streaming reliable at peak times. Sounds too good to be true.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like