back to article Decisions on health data sharing should not be taken by politicians, citizen juries find

As the NHS in England is set to launch a competition for a far-reaching patient data platform, a public consultation has said decisions about health data sharing should not be taken by politicians. A report by England's National Data Guardian (NDG), an independent watchdog for health data appointed by the Secretary of State …

1. ThatOne Silver badge
    Devil

Reality check

> decisions about health data sharing should not be taken by politicians

It's like postulating that decisions about milking and slaughtering should not be taken by the farmer... :-p

Seriously now, while I'm not British and might miss a few subtleties of the situation, the only reason I can see to centralize the health data and make it easier to manage is - selling it. For the good of humanity obviously, and there is no harm done if we make a little money on the side, is there, you ungrateful gits.

So, sharing decisions should not be taken by politicians? Do you really want to deprive those poor hardworking people of the handful of coins which could have eased their miserable life of toil and privations?... Harsh.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"decisions about health data sharing should not be taken by politicians"

I'm starting to think that there are a few other areas that should be off limits to politicians.

Like state policy, for starters.

Let's just say we keep them around for visiting politicians from other countries, or to send them off to visit politicans in other countries.

They know how to hold a glass of wine, and that's about it.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

Still not getting the idea it's not *their* data, it's the patients

And they should start treating that fact with a bit more respect.

But the idea smells rank anyway.

The last "Big idea" of NHS digital spunked about £15Bn of taxpayers money up against a wall IIRC.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trust.......I've heard of it.....

The Royal Free Trust, that is.....That's the folk who handed over 1.6 million personal medical records to DeepMind/Google.

...and about that GDPR thing of personal consent...NOT ONE of the 1.6 million citizens was asked for their consent.

So......slurping in complete contravention of GDPR is the rule of the day. GDPR is (still) a joke.

....and then there's Peter Thiel and Palantir in the mix.......

Yup...."trust"......I've heard of it!!!

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: Trust.......I've heard of it.....

....and then there's Peter Thiel and Palantir in the mix.......

That is by for the most scary of the developments. I just don't see any good outcome with their involvement.

Thiel is a Venture Capitalist and you don't make billions without "cutting corners" somewhere. Palantir simply should not be permitted to have access to ANY data in the UK, particularly stuff with such sensitivity as NHS data.

5. Trotts36

Nhs can do one

My health data - MY DATA YOU CRIMINALS !

I do not give consent for any of my information to be shared / sold / traded to any one else.

Also it’ll be a cold day in hell when you see me clapping like a f*ing seal on my doorstep in the evening.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Nhs can do one

My clinical results, my conclusions on salt / alcohol / smoking effect on health. I'll not share that with you peasants.

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

A spokesman for the government welcomed the report

before going on to say: "we'll give it consideration before handing all the data over to our friends in VC-backed companies…"

7. CB__

I'm afraid it's endemic in the NHS these days, and if they don't get it to work this time, then they'll try a different way, again. Anyone remember care.data from a few years back? They'll get our health data eventually, whether we like it or not, and whether it's legal or not. The best thing you can do is to tackle it from a different angle -- buy your cakes and booze with cash, and don't use your Nectar/Tesco card when you do it ;)

8. Ken G Silver badge
    Trollface

To quote from Ministerio del Tiempo

There are things that must not be privatised: education, health care, time travel

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like